The Worried Man and The Hospital Bed of Chaos

Sage Slade

SOMETIMES WHEN I CLOSE MY EYES I CAN SEE MY MOTHER

Her long flowy blond locks, gentle green eyes, and a warm smile. I remember the smell of laundry detergent she used to have and her giggle. All of it comforts me in the most horrible situations. 

Tonight, I didn't see her.

My vision is blurry, all I can see are bright lights and I'm assuming people over me. We're in a hurry. I can tell from the sound of wheels being pushed against their limit beneath me and from how I shift from left to right repeatedly.

"Sage!"

Mom?

"Is she alright?"

No...that's Greyson

"Sir we're going to have to ask you to calm down." A lady says.

"I'm her fucking fiance, don't tell me to calm down!" Greyson growls.

I try to regain consciousness, to see his face, to see a living face of someone I recognize. When I manage to see more detail I see Greyson, he's over me, our eyes meet instantly. Relief flies into his silver gaze and my chest tightens.

When was he able to look at me like that?

"You're going to be alright, Sage." He grabs my hand. "You're going to be alright."

I've got to respond, to reassure him that I'll be fine, but for some reason the words won't come out. All I can do is take in that look in his eyes. Of torturous worry. Is it bad that I want to always keep this image in my head? This is the most care he's ever shown me and I can't help but feel a tinge of happiness from it.

"Sir this is as far as you can go." The nurse says to him. Greyson frowns, his jaw tightens but he stops at the doors without saying another word. When he was finally out of sight I stopped fighting the sleepy feeling that was taking over me and drifted off.

→←

"She sprained her left arm and we checked her head for any signs of a concussion and there wasn't any. However, we'd like to keep her here for the next day or two to watch over her just in case." I hear a ladies voice.

I groan, feeling a sharp pain on my head.

"Sage?"

My eyelids flutter open, Greyson was right in front of me, his piercing eyes meet mine. There's something about him like this that almost makes me think he could be a decent human being. He's genuinely worried about me, it's almost like the past two years I've been with him have been an act and he's really a Prince Charming.

"Wh-What happened?" I muttered, leaning up. The nurse and Greyson look at me, then I immediately remember. "Dad." I say. "Dad, is he okay?" What the hell is wrong with me? Here I am thinking about Greyson for whatever drug induced reason and my Father was lying in a pool of blood the last time I saw him.

The nurse clears her throat. "Miss Slade, your Father is in the O.R. right now, he's lost a tremendous amount of blood. He has multiple stab wounds." My stomach drops and suddenly I feel my nose begin to sting. "Sta-Stab wounds!" I yell. Greyson tenses up next to me, anger exuding from him. "Wh-What? How? Who? Why!?" 

"Could you please leave us alone for a moment?" Greyson requests and the nurse nods her head. "I'll be back to update you about your Father. I will head to the O.R. now." Then she leaves the room and I can't stop the overwhelming amount of tears that pour out of my eyes. It's like a stab to my chest hearing that Dad was treated in such a horrible way.