Equals

Greyson

I've been more busy than I could ever imagine, with the holidays coming in there is much to do and little time to achieve the goals I set out for this quarter.

Father has decided to take a vacation that was long overdue, I can't remember when I have ever seen that man relax and not work for a day. He's been traveling around Europe, last I heard he was in one of the Greek islands enjoying the peace and quiet.

"You know Scarlett I'm not entirely a fan of you kicking my ass, I put hundreds of hours into this game and made up strategies that would make a genius cry." Hudson frowns, throwing the remote onto the coffee table.

Scarlett rolls her eyes. "It's literally a shooting game, you get a gun and shoot things."

"Yeah but...I..." He stutters. "You're grounded!"

I chuckle. "Hudson, she's right."

"You're both very mean people." He walks away. "I'm going to get a beer."

It's been a few weeks since Bianca's passing and slowly Scarlett has been more lively. I can't stand here and lie to myself, saying everything is alright with her, it probably won't ever be. But for now she gives us an occasional laugh and smile to ease my worries.

Hudson has been pretty helpful through this too, he decided to introduce her to games I wasn't comfortable with at first and challenge her. He figures that my entire family suffers from a severe competitive syndrome and that most likely she will too. And what better way to get your emotions out than virtually shooting an evil robot?

Her therapists prefer she focused on writing or art, and she does that, but this is the only thing that gets her to socialize with people instead of being in her room non-stop.

Not to mention, she's actually way better than gamers I've seen playing for almost their entire lives, Hudson being one of them.

"Dad?"

I look at her. "Yes, Scarlett?"

"I'm hungry."

I smile. "Agreed, want to see how long she has left in the kitchen?"

Scarlett nods and we both stand up, heading towards the kitchen where we see Sage running around. I don't think I've ever seen it such a mess and it was clear as day this was her first time making this meal. 

The cook book was propped up against the wall next to an assortment of bowls and ingredients.

Sage turns around and notices us. "You guys weren't supposed to see this."

"It looks like someone broke in." Scarlett walks towards the oven to see what Sage was cooking up, and I follow suit.

I chuckle. "Yeah, everything okay in here?"

"I'm offended you would think otherwise." She pauses. "But no, I'm failing horribly."

Scarlett samples a sauce with a wooden spoon. "This taste good."

"That's literally the only thing I got right and that because I called my dad." Sage sighs.

I smile. "Well let us help out, Scarlett's actually a pretty good taste tester."