The Man Who Fought Death and The Emotional Day

Sage

"I'M SORRY, I HIGHLY DOUBT HE'S GOING TO MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT."

Never in my life has such a fluent sentence, seemed so foreign to me. You'd think as many times I've been in this hospital I'd grow accustomed to the horrors inside it. Everyone in this place must think the Blackstone's are nothing but bad luck, seeing as they're always in here.

I've become so numb to the emotional pain that this family has brought me that I honestly can't find the energy to show the hurt, express the distress.

Dawn is a mess, crying. "No." She sobs. "He can't."

Nathan, her husband, is with her. He slips his arm around her but is immediately pushed away, they share a look, then she walks away.

"You'd think that a guy whose married to Dawn would know never to touch her when she's a wreck like that." Hudson scoffs, bitterly. "Figures she'd fuck up on choosing a husband."

"This isn't the time to belittle Dawn's husband, don't you think?" I look at him.

Hudson eyes me down. "Says the sociopath, showing absolutely no emotion towards the situation."

"I just...can't feel anymore...it's hard." I curl up into a ball. "The pain is to hard to deal with."

He shoves a random cart onto the ground. "Fuck!" Hudson rubs his temple and stressfully walks in a circle. "Why'd he have to put himself in that position. That bastard just HAD to go and walk into the eye of the beast like that."

"Hudson." My eyes crawl up towards his face, filled with so much sadness.

"No!" He shouts. "That fucker needs to stop thinking about himself, and start thinking about about everyone who will be affected by this. You, Hamilton, Dawn...me..." He pauses. "...Greyson."

I close my eyes, forcing the pain to stay inside.

The moment Greyson wakes up he's most assuredly going to want to know what happened to his Father. Once he hears that someone shot Richard in the head from behind, I'm not sure what he'll do, or how he'll react.

The Doctors aren't giving us much, the surgeons are currently working on him, and everytime someone comes out they tell us news that are much worse than what we originally heard.

Dawn has been mentally checking in and out for the past few hours, and I had was bombarded by police—again. But Todd shooed them away as soon as he arrived once he got news about what happened, David explained the nights events to him. Needless to say, David was immediately fired for allowing Greyson to get involved in this.

"I'm going to rest..." I say, standing up.

Hudson zooms towards me instantly as my legs give in. "I don't think you should be walking, you've gone through a lot today, and I'm sure you shouldn't overexert yourself."

I cringed at the flashbacks, the stomach-curling taste, one that using an entire bottle of Listerine can't wash away. Having that...thing in my mouth...

I cover my eyes with my face. "Do...Do you think he won't want me anymore?"

Hudson was there when I described the entire scenario to the police with the men who were shot in the room. How I was two seconds from being assaulted and that one of them had me perform disgusting acts to him.

"Fuck, no." He says sternly, then chuckles sourly. "When he wakes up and hears what those fuckers did to you, he's going to revive their asses just to kill them again."

I snickered, but didn't smile. "You're probably right."

"Is that why you've been out here, instead of in there with him?" He asks, placing me back on the chair.