The Girl Who Doesn't Know How To Breathe and The File

Greyson

FEAR

It's something I rarely feel, or at least try not to. Being a tycoon means taking risks that affect not only your career but the jobs of many people. However, if I know what I'm doing I'm confident that it'll be a success.

Unfortunately, I cannot say the same thing about being publicly engaged to Sage. The world now knows that I am marrying a girl ten years my junior. It doesn't bother me how young she is, it bothers me that her youth has held her back from experiences.

Sage doesn't know what's out there, she hasn't dated, or better yet hasn't kissed or 'loved' anyone but me. I've learned from previous incidents that women are capable of freaking out or getting bored of a relationship. What if that happens to her? I don't feel safe in this relationship knowing that one day she might want something I can't give her. Experiences.

"So..." Sage starts, stabbing her fork into her pancakes.

For a few weeks now we've been eating breakfast with one another. It was the only thing I could do in the morning that entertained my painstakingly boring morning without work. And even though I've gotten the clear to start working again at the Towers I've grown accustomed to sharing my mornings with Sage.

Every morning she usually updates me about something related to space, like NASA tweeting about working to get humans to Mars. Since I have nothing that would interest her to talk about, at least that I know of, I tend to listen.

"Hm?" I look at her, placing my fork down.

Sage looks at me hesitantly. "In a few weeks I have prom..."

"Yes you do. Has Isabella given you the dress rack I sent from Milan?" I ask.

She blinks her eyes, then nods. "Yes and thank you. But I've got a much more important matter to speak of."

"Such as?"

Clearing her throat, she courageously replies. "I need...a date..."

The unfortunate circumstances of our relationship are the complications that come with it. I am to old to be attending a Prom. I'm a man who goes to Gala's and Black-Tie events, a Prom is something I cannot do even for her. Not to mention there is an age limit to things like that and I'm not going to test the boundaries of the school district.

"Sage, you know I can't—"

"...and I think Dorian should be it." She finishes.

Everytime I hear that bloody name I am reminded that there is a guy who is 'friends' with her that still exists. He wants everything that I cannot share with her, truthfully speaking it's selfish, but nevertheless a law in my eyes.

The fact that I'm even listening to her bring his name up is absolutely ridiculous. However, it is Karma back-lashing at me for all the wrong I've done and in order to balance it I'll have to deal with some consequences.

"Fine." I say.

"Before you argue—wait you said fine?" Sage gasps.

I nod. "Yes, I did."

"Well...that was easy."

I slice my eyes to hers. "I wasn't finished."

Sage went silent.

"You can go, but I have a few conditions."

She watched me and listened.

"Todd will escort you to and from the Prom, you will not argue with him since safety is priority." I continue.