The Man Who Pretends and The Tickets

Sage

LOVE

That was the only thing that could explain why Scarlett defends her mother so frequently. No matter what that woman did she continues to tell us that we're wrong about her. Despite her openly being a villain that she is, in fact, the complete opposite and is a good person.

So I thought that I'd work my best to show her what actual love is.

But when Greyson came home and told me what happened, how the conversation went my heart dropped.

"She's..." I start.

Greyson rips off his tie and throws it on the bed. "Fucking shit, she was the good guy after all."

"But she...But she..."

He looks at me, shaking his head. "Sage we didn't know."

"Greyson, she's so young." I frown.

I watch him shake his head, a war of emotions swimming through his mind. The woman we hated so easily turned out to be the truly good one here. Who only wanted one selfish request and that was her daughter. But became selfless the moment she pushed her to us.

Greyson leaned against the dresser and sighed. "You know I can't ignore this Sage, no matter how much the thought of being around her makes being stabbed in the eyes tolerable, I have to help."

"How can you help?" I walk over to him. "Be practical Greyson, there's no amount of money in the world that can guarantee an easy exit from death."

He looked me in the eyes. "I know that Sage, I'm not an idiot, but I will make sure she has all the support from the Blackstone family. She's the mother of my child and that means she's under our care too, even if she makes Medusa look angelic."

"Just make sure you know before going into this that whatever happens, it won't be your fault—"

"It's always my fault." Suddenly he pushes himself off of the dresser and stares down at me, his entire shadow engulfs me.

"But Greyson this—"

"I wished for her death, Sage." He spat out. "I wished for it over and over again, I hoped for the moment she would lose her life for taking my child away. Worst of all when she told me she was dying I felt bad but I didn't care, I thought it was karma returning the favor and felt relief that maybe I would never have to see or hear about Bianca again."

From the corner of my eye, I see someone standing someone at the doorway.

Scarlett stared at Greyson, her glare cold and full of betrayal. Her eyes were shiny like glass, tears threatening to come out. I watch as she fought them back and hold grip the sides of her dress with her small hands.

As expected the small child ran off from the room and I hear the stomps echo throughout the hallway. The urge to run after her rushed through my veins but before doing so I turned my attention back to Greyson.

Before I could say anything or yell at him, I noticed he never moved his eyes from me. That he didn't even pay attention to his daughter. Then my glare drops down to his hands and just like Scarlett's his were gripping the edge of the dresser. He wanted to run after her just as much as I did, probably more than me.

So why doesn't he...?

Unless...

Greyson pushes himself off of the dresser and maneuvers himself around me. However, he doesn't head towards Scarlett. Instead, he walks in the direction of the bathroom and instinctively I grabbed his upper arm.