Pumpkin Pie

Sage

"Richard's famous pumpkin pie, don't mind if I do—"

Richard slaps Hudson's hand with a large wooden spoon. "I wouldn't tempt fate son."

I laugh, the two of them were always a comedy act for as long as I've known them. Tonight was especially humorous because Richard was not only preparing the dinner this Christmas Eve like a drill sergeant but he was wearing an ruffled apron that Scarlett supposedly bought for him last year. I'm not sure if it was intended to be a gift or not but either way it was quite the sight.

Dawn was in the Living Room with Scarlett, Hamilton and Heather. I'm not sure what that group would talk about but I haven't seen one awkward silence among them.

"Sage, dear, I'd appreciate if you'd remove this twit from my presence." Richard requests, as he returns to the stove and sauté's some vegetables. 

I nod my head, grabbing Hudson by the arm and pulling him out of the kitchen.

Hudson hesitates. "Wait I've got to taste test everything before it goes out, make sure it's safe for my pregnant fiancé."

"And the fact that your pregnant fiancés father is cooking it isn't enough?" Richard scoffs. "After this conversation the only one in danger of a splash of rat poison is you, son."

Hudson's jaw drops. "Richard, me, I understand Greyson and Hamilton but me? I'm your favorite."

"Sage, would you mind?" He turns back around.

I began to pull Hudson out and into the Living Room where everyone else was. Richards house was huge and I almost got confused on where to go when I first got here. It's been so long that Scarlett had to remind me about the locations of all the important rooms. 

We arrive with the rest of everyone else and are welcomed by an already drunk Hamilton. Over the years he lost an incredible amount of weight and Heather no longer looked like she was suffering being in his presence. In fact she was also a little tipsy next to him, laughing and smiling.

Dawn rolled her eyes. "You tried to taste test the pumpkin pie didn't you?"

"Woah, baby, I can't be at fault here." Hudson sits down next to her. "Have you tried it?"

She frowned. "He's my father, what do you think?"

"He was an absent father for most of your childhood if I'm correct." Hudson tells her.

"Only towards me." Suddenly I am kissed on the cheek.

With a gust of cold air with him, Greyson enters the room holding a few bags in his hands. Next to him my Dad and Gideon. I was surprised that Gideon pushed aside his hatred towards this family but I figure it was because my Dad was holding his mac and cheese and anyone would be an idiot to pass the chance to have some.

"Hello everyone, I'm just going to help Richard out." Dad smiles, then glances at me. "I don't know how you didn't get lost in this place Sage, its ginormous."

I giggled. "Trust me, Scarlett had to help me."

While my Dad and Greyson head to the kitchen, Gideon seats himself in the corner of the room. Clearly not trying to socialize with anyone in here.

"Hey! You!" Hamilton shouts at Gideon. "Stop being a weirdo and come take a shot with me and my beautiful wife!"

Gideon raises his eyebrows. "What?"

"You heard me, we don't hide from each other, we have fun in this group." Hamilton laughs, wrapping his arm around Heather. "I know what it's like to feel unwelcomed in this family. Shit I didn't even get invited to the last two Christmases."