The Last Kiss

Sage

TWO PEOPLE BREAKING UP WHO LOVE EACH OTHER

What logic is that? I've spent so much energy and poured so much of myself into this relationship. Dealing with every tormenting second of a life I wasn't meant to have but was forced into adjusting too. Now, I'm being dumped because I just needed one second to breathe and walk, instead of dashing towards the next step.

"Fuck you." I say out loud. "You don't get to decide that, fuck you."

Greyson stands there, unwavering in the biggest decision of our relationship. One that I was yet again, not a part of. How did I say all of those things and he decided that we needed to end this? He's even going so far as to say that I'll possibly find someone else. What madness is this?

Bianca stood down the hall, I'm not sure why I even let her up here in the first place. I guess when you walk out of a wedding, even the last person you'd want to be around seems like the next best thing.

I wipe away the stray tears, holding back the urge to collapse onto the ground and cry my heart out. "We're not breaking up and you can't tell me otherwise, let me be included for once."

"Sage, I'm not happy with this either but if we stay together we will end up back here again." Greyson explains, shrugging off his jacket. "I refuse to watch us both go through this twice."

I shake my head. "It won't happen again, I know it won't."

"How can you be so sure!?" He growls. "This morning I thought that by now we'd be at the airport on our way to the honeymoon, but you get there and allow Bianca to get into your head. How can I trust you when I have the knowledge that you easily doubted us, that you were so overwhelmed that you ran out on me? You ran out on me!"

That hurt. "It wasn't because I don't want to be with you!"

"What's the point Sage? Staying with me is the same as if we were married, the only difference is a fucking ring and some papers!" He shouts, rubbing the temples of his head. "I'm still keeping Scarlett and I'll be focused on work...I can try to make all the time in the world for you...but someone your age needs more nurturing and time."

I scoff. "Don't tell me what I need."

"You literally just told me this, don't go back on what you said because you don't want to break up." He sits down. "Honestly, I'm not discussing this anymore, I won't change your mind."

That's when I snapped. "Stop choosing things for me!"

"This isn't for you." Greyson looks up at me, his eyes filled with emptiness. "I can no longer think about me, Scarlett needs stability and if my own girlfriend will walk out on me...then I can't shake the concern that you'll just leave if we continue on."

The world stopped.

I've lost his trust in me, he doubts me and I hurt him in an unimaginable way. I don't regret what I did because he's right if we would've gotten married I would've gotten overwhelmed and left. Breaking up with him is the last thing I want to do but I'll have to share his attention for the rest of our lives. I'll never truly have him to myself and right now I'm selfish, I don't want to share.

I sat down next to him. "What if you..."

"Like fucking hell I'll ever move on." He chuckles. "I don't love just anyone, Sage."

My nose started to sting. "You'll go back to your old ways."

"I'm a father now, I can't be that man anymore."

We looked into each others eyes. "What will I do without you?"

"Live." He pulls me in and holds me tight. "Just without me dictating your next move."