Not Good Enough

Lylah's POV

"This was last week, first day at my new school. Sucks." Violet said.

"Westfield right? Place blows, I got kicked out of there." I told her. She laughed.

"How you seem so sweet?" She chuckled.

"Oh believe me, we all have our darknesses within us." I said.

"I believe it." She said. The music was low. She went to turn it off.

"So your brother? Is seeing my dad?" She asked.

"No oh god no. He's not my brother. He's um. He's my boyfriend." I said. It was such a weird thing to say. I haven't told anyone Tate was my boyfriend since 1994.

"Oh, well it's cool you brought him here." Violet said. She asked me if I wanted to listen to an artist that was cool and pissy and hated everyone and everything.

"Got any Kurt Cobain on that thing?" I asked. I was missing all my CD's currently.

"Violet? Vi-" I turned to see Mr. Harmon himself.

"Uh-who-who is this?" He stuttered, never taking his eyes off me.

"This is Ly- no sorry- Luna right?" Violets said.

"Actually it's-" I started before Mr. Harmon cut me off.

"Lylah..." He said.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"I- I can recognise you but I can't quite place it." He said. "But Vivian told me she met you. You're here with Tate right?" He asked.

"Yes." I answered. Relieved that he didn't notice I was a ghost. Or at least a past student.

"He's told me all about you."  Said Mr. Harmon. "A great person to have around so I hear."

"Thank you Mr. Harmon." I said.

"Please, call me Ben." He said.

"Right... Ben." I said.

"Lylah!" I hear from down stairs. Oh thank god it's Tate.

"Well that's my que." I said.

"Bye Lylah." Violet said.

"See ya." I said walking down the stairs. I met him at the bottom and we ducked outside and around the back. We carefully walked into the back door and went down to the basement.

"Did he know you?" I asked Tate.

"No. I wore these." He said. He had these black rimmed glasses on.

"Oh jeez Tate they're just glasses. Oh damn. You look kinda cute in glasses." I blushed. He grinned and huffed out a laugh. He kissed me on the cheek.

"Did he know you?" He asked me.

"No. Almost. But not quite. I think you're gonna have to stop seeing him to be safe." I said. He looked down. He took his glasses off and wiped his little tears. We sure do cry a lot. But hey, being dead is pretty depressing in our defence.

"But then I won't get to wear these." He said, lifting the glasses.

"Baby I love you with and without glasses. I love you." I giggled.

"But I want to be good enough." He said, looking up at me, letting a tear flow down his already stained cheek.

"Tate..." I breathed.

"I'm not good enough for you anymore." He said. "Maybe I never was."

"Tate. You have always always always been good enough for me. And you always will be." I said. He lunged at me. Taking me in his arms. I hugged back.

And we stayed like that for what felt like hours. Until Constance rang the doorbell with Addy at her side.