2

( SIMPLE LIFE )

       Dean wakes up, confused. "Hey, Dean. I was expecting, uh... I don't know, a hug, some holy water in the face—" Sam starts. "something."

       "So I'm dead? This is Heaven?" Dean asks. "Yellow Eyes killed me, and now—"

       "Yellow Eyes? That's what you saw?" Sam asks.

       "Saw"?

       "You were poisoned." Sam says. "So whatever kind of crazy crap you think you been seeing, it's not real."

       "So, then, are you...real? Or—or am I still—" Dean starts.

      "I'm real. Here, let me save you the trouble. All me." Sam cuts himself with a silver blade and then puts some salt in a jug of water and drinks it. "That's nasty."

       "Sammy?" Dean asks.

       "Yeah. It's me."

       Dean hugs Sam. "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You—you—you were—you were gone, man. I mean, that—that was it. How the hell are you—" He stutters.

      "I don't know." Sam says.

       "What do you mean you don't know?"

      "I mean, no idea. I-I'm just back." Sam says.

      "Well, was it God, or—or—or Cas? I mean, does Cas know anything about it?" Asks Dean.

       "You tell me. I've been calling. Cas hasn't answered my prayers." Sam says. "I don't even know where he is. I mean, I was...down there, and then, next minute, it's raining, and I'm lying in that field, alone. It's kind of hard to go looking for whatever saved you when you got no leads. But I looked. I mean, believe me, I looked... for weeks."

       "Wait, weeks? How long you been back?" Dean asks. "How long you been back, Sam?"

       "About a year." Sam says.

       "About a year?"

       "Dean—"

       "You been back practically this whole time?!" Dean yells. "What, did you lose the ability to send a friggin' text message?!"

       "You finally had what you wanted, Dean." Sam says.

       "I wanted my brother, alive!"

       "You wanted a family. You have for a long time, maybe the whole time. I know you. You only gave it up because of the way we lived." Sam says. "But you had something, and you were building something. Had I shown up, Dean, you would have just run off. I'm sorry. But it felt like after everything, you deserve some regular life."

       "What have you been doing?" Dean asks.

       "Hunting."

       "You left me alone, and you were flying solo?" Asks Dean.

        "Not solo." Sam says.

       "What?" Dean asks.

       "I hooked up with some other people."

       "You? Working with strangers?" Dean asks.

       "They're more like family. And they're here." Sam takes Dean into the adjoining room.

       "Hey." A Girl says.

       "Hi." Dean says.

       "My God, you have delicate features for a hunter." She says.