16

( HELP )

HOTEL ROOM
[ ☼ ]

      Dean holds Corey's cat skull, walking to join Sam at the kitchen table. "So this was the chick's pet?" He says. Sam, working on his laptop.

      "Well, she was obsessed." Sam says.

      "I think you mean crazy." Dean says.

      Sam takes the cat skull. "All right, so cat skull, uh, grains-of-paradise seed, devil's shoestring. Mix 'em well, you got yourself a summoning spell." He says.

      "Demon?" Dean asks. Sam shows Dean a webpage about Veritas, Goddess of Truth. "Corey was so desperate for the truth about her boyfriend's cheating heart, she went digging around. Nothing panned out, so she went looking for a different kind of help."

      "Opened a door she couldn't close." Dean says.

       "Yeah. Now anyone in town who asks aloud for the truth invokes Veritas. And she doesn't just give it to you." Sam says. "She slams you with it until you kill yourself and she gets her tribute."

       "So, all that 'tribute' vanishing from the morgue. What do you think, uh, Soylent Green situation?"

      "Gods got to eat, too. Which means we got to take her out or you're on the menu." Sam says.

      "All right, well, what do we know, besides crazy cat lady?" Asks Dean.

      "Well, dogs are her Achilles heel."

       "Naturally." Dean says.

       "And she was a pretty hands-on goddess back in the day." Sam says. "Her thing was coming down from the mountain to speak truth to the masses. She wanted more than tribute. She wanted to be worshipped."

      "An attention whore."

      "If you want to put it that way." Says Sam.

      "And what is the 21st-century version of speaking truth to the masses?"

TELEVISION STUDIO
[ ☾]

       A large, backlit poster outside the doors advertises the show, 'Frank Talk', with Ashley Frank. Sam and Dean exit from behind the poster. Sam is carrying a desktop computer tower. "So you really think this God is slumming as some farm-league Diane Sawyer?" Sam asks.

      "Eh, call it a hunch." Dean pays off a door man. Sam puts the computer in the trunk of the Impala. Sam and Dean get in the car.

MOTEL ROOM
[ ☾]

      Sam and Dean are sitting on the edges of their respective bed. The television studio's computer is running through Sam's laptop, which is perched on a chair between them. Sam starts the recording, which is raw footage of 'Frank Talk'. "I'm Ashley—I'm Ashley Frank, bringing you 'Frank Talk'. Let's do that again.

      "Okay, still rolling."

       "I'm Ashley Frank, bringing you 'Frank Talk'. Again. I'm Ashley Frank. Are organic fruits and veggies really worth the cost?"

       Dean is sitting back on his bed, drinking coffee and eating a donut. "She's creepy. I mean, the hair alone. I don't know, man. Maybe there's nothing here." He says. Sam increases the speed on the video.

      "Maybe." Sam says.

       Sunlight comes in through the window. Dean's bed shows evidence of having been slept in. Dean is wearing a different shirt and has moved to the table, eating a pizza. Sam is still staring intensely at the video; he does not appear to have moved in hours, except to remove his over-shirt.