19

( SOUL KEEPER )

"Where is it? Answer the question." Says Samuel. "Where is it? How do we find it?" He shocks the Alpha Vampire.

"Ouch. Stop. That hurts." The Alpha says sarcastically.

"This—This is club med compared to what we have planned for you." Samuel says. "I got—I got all the time in the world."

"Well, that makes two of us." The Vampire laughs. "Are you two going to hide all night? Come on out, guys. How can I help you?"

"We got some questions for you, skippy, since you're going nowhere fast." Dean says.

The Alpha Vampire chuckles. "Don't be so sure." He says.

"Yeah? Locked down pretty tight. And with all that dead blood rushing through your veins, not sure you got enough juice to fire up that psychic bat-signal of yours, do you?"

"True. Not near enough juice for that... Dean." The Vampire says.

"I didn't realize we were on a first-name basis." Dean says.

"Of course we are. After all, you were my child... for a time." It says. "Dean, tell me... did you enjoy it?"

"I'm asking the questions here, fright night." Dean says.

"When your kind first huddled around the fire, I was the thing in the dark!" The Vampire yells. "Now you think you can hurt me? I have all night, boys. Anyway, I'm happy to tell you whatever you want to know."

"Why?" Elena asks.

"Why? Because soon, I'll be ankle-deep in your blood, sucking the marrow from your bones."

"So you're really it. The first of your species." Sam says.

"The very first."

"But if you're the first... who made you?" Sam asks.

"We all have our mothers. Even me."

"What does that mean?" Asks Dean as The Alpha Vampire laughs. "And what's with the big surge of vamps lately? I mean, it's like—"

"Like we're going to war." The Alpha says.

"Why? What's going on? Why did Samuel bring you here?" Sam asks.

The Alpha Vampire sniffs. "You smell cold. You have no soul. What an oddity. Do you feel how empty you are? What is it like to have no soul? Answer my question." He says.

"You first. You're the one in the cage." Sam says.

"The thing about souls—If you've got one, of course—is they're predictable." The Alpha says. "You die, you go up or down. Where do my kind go?"

"All right, enough with the sermon, freak." Dean says.

"I'm trying to answer the question. Now, when we 'freaks' die... where do we go? Not heaven, not hell. So?"

"Legoland?" Dean asks.

The Alpha Vampire sighs. "Little rusty on our Dante, guys?" He asks.

"Purgatory." Elena asks.

"Purgatory? Purgatory's real?" Dean asks.

"Oh, stupid cattle." The Vampire chuckles. "Of course! And it is filled with the soul of every hungry thing like me that ever walked this earth. Now, where is it? That is the mystery. And that is what your kindhearted granddaddy is trying to beat out of me."