8

( THE THIRD MAN )

POLICE LOCKER ROOM
[ ☾]

       Jerry, wearing a t-shirt, is toweling his face after shaving. He sees a spot of blood on the towel and notices a nick on his left cheek. He rinses it off, but it persists. "Oh, come on." He rubs his right cheek. A patch of skin peels off and lands in the sink. "Ohh. Oh." He exhales sharply. "What the hell?"

      A second cop, Ed, has been dressing in the locker behind. "Come on, man. Let's get going." He says. Jerry walks backward from the mirror, breathing rapidly and leaving bloody footprints. Blood seeps through the back of his t-shirt. "Jerry?"

      Jerry bleeds from the mouth. "Ed, I think I'm bleeding." He falls forward. Blood splatters at Ed's feet. The camera pulls back to reveal a mash of flesh and blood where Jerry used to be. Ed is horrified.

DEAN'S HOUSE
[ ☼ ]

       Birds are chirping as morning light floods into a bedroom window. Dean is sleeping. Lisa wakens next to him. "Hey, you." She says.

      "Hey." Dean says. A light peck becomes a long and passionate kiss. Dean is distracted by the sound of a heartbeat.

      A horn blares and Dean wakens from his dream. He is alone in the Impala, parked just off a busy highway.

HOTEL ROOM
[ ☼ ]

       Sam is inside, shirtless, working through a fitness routine of push-ups and sit-ups. These scenes are intercut with: Dean by the side of the road, fully clothed, stretching to work the kinks out. The Impala pulls out and is back on the road.

      Sam is doing chin-ups on a pipe suspended from the ceiling of the room. A Professional Lady emerges from the bathroom. "Don't stop on my account." She says.

      Sam laughs. "I'm done." He says.

       "Last night was a..." She clears throat. "High point, if you don't mind me saying."

       "Good." Sam says.

       "All right. Well, I see you need to start your day." The Professional says. "When did you say you were heading out?" Sam exhales, indicating impatience. "You didn't. Right. Damn, you know how to play that mystery card."

      As she turns to leave, Sam clears his throat and holds up some cash. "Right. I almost forgot. Next time..." She gives Sam a note. "You can call me on my night off. If you want."

       "Okay." Sam says.

      "Okay." She leaves. The phone rings. Sam scrunches up the note and tosses it into a wastepaper basket. He picks up his cellphone.

      "Hey." Sam says.

BURGER HEAVEN
[ ☼ ]

       "Hey. I'm about eight hours out of the Campbell Base." Dean says.

       "Uh, change of plans. I need you to meet me. I'm in PA. Town called Easter." Sam says.

       "What are you doing in Pennsylvania?"

      "Caught a case." Says Sam.

       "A case? When? It's been like a day and a half." Dean says.

       "I like to work."

       "Apparently." Dean says.

       "Glad we hashed that out. Call me when you roll into town." Sam hangs up. Dean stares at his phone.