15

HARRY'S POV:

I had stayed at Gwen's bedside all yesterday, then finally came home for a good sleep, and shower and all that. She'd be in a medical coma for a while, so there was no chance of her waking up anyway, so I'd live my life as much as possible in the meantime. When she woke up, I planned on being there as much as possible.

I hummed to her yesterday, though. Who knows if you can really hear when you're in a coma, but some say you can. So if there was a chance, I thought maybe I could relax her mind and hum, since that was obviously on her mind when she was momentarily conscious. I hummed for a while. And later, I hummed more. I planned on humming to her every day, as much as possible.

Today I was going to visit the other girls. I was nervous, but excited to see them out of their dungeon, and not just a mostly naked picture in a book, as a menu for men's late night "snacks".

I got there and their counselors had already explained who I was, and what part I'd played in their escape, so that was good that I didn't have to. They were very very excited to see me when I walked in. They were waiting for me, and they all jumped up and rushed to me and each girl gave me a huge hug and lots of thank you's. It was very emotional, and I'll admit, some tears snuck out, despite trying to keep them in. I don't mind "glossy eyes", being a man, but I hate it when the tears slip out. It's just not manly. Heh.

We sat in a common room with a few couches, and talked for probably an hour or more. They all had lots of questions for me, including asking how Gwen was doing. They couldn't believe Gwen held that secret and helped me help them all.

One of the girls, the Spanish girl was a little scarred, having been in the room when the NCA shot and killed Mike, their boss. That had been the scream I'd heard that night, when Mike left me and Gus in the room. When I'd heard the two shots, I'd thought that he killed one of the girls, and would go room to room and kill the rest. But no, an NCA guy burst in at the last second, and Mike's gun went off and missed the guy, and the guy shot Mike in the head, killing him instantly. The Spanish girl was right next to him, so it almost looked like the gun was pointed at her, she said as she shakily relived that night. I gave her extra hugs after she was so shaken by telling her story of that night. I was happy to have the things I heard that night filled in with facts, also.

Luckily, all the other girls were locked in their rooms, and Mike or Gus didn't get to any of them.

I still can't believe how perfectly it all worked out that night. Well, except for Gwen, laying in a hospital bed right now, in a coma, and no one knowing if she'll be ok when they stop medicating her.

It truly is torturous for me.

The girls showed me their rooms, complete with REAL beds, which they were so excited about, and dressers and a variety of donated clothes, and two nice bathrooms, where they could shower ALONE, and use the toilet alone...

They're loving the real food, and actual snacks, and seeing the sun....they say they wake up and go outside on the large porch in the back every morning, because they love to see the sun in the sky. It's beautiful. Hearing birds chirping in the big tree'd backyard....they have a new lease on life, and they are LOVING it all.

The girls also showed me one empty, but readied room, that's waiting for Gwen.

I teared up again upon seeing it. I pictured her in there, smiling like the rest of the girls, actually being able to talk to them and laugh and watch the small flatscreen tv's that were included in each girl's room, next to the small radio/CD player.

They could be GIRLS now. And Gwen was missing it. And I felt responsible for that. She was mad at what I'd almost said, and that's why she gave up on life and didn't get out of bed that morning...

The girls told me about that morning. They couldn't understand why Gwen seemed to be purposely disobeying Mike. They thought she'd gone crazy. And then watching her get beat up....they had tears in their eyes when they told me about what was done to her that morning. From both of them rap.ing her at the same time, to stomping on her leg, scalding her in the shower, to throwing her down the steps and leaving her to lay there while they all wanted to help her, and had started to after she rolled down the steps, they all rushed to her, but were warned not to touch her until they were all ready for work.

Then they all had to pick her up together and bring her up to work and put her at her station for the day, till she woke up. Then she'd have to resume working. Except when she woke up, she decided to try and take what little was left of her life, instead...

I didn't want to tell them that I was the reason she'd lost the will to live, and seemingly tried to get herself killed. I left that part out. That was for me to live with for the rest of my life. All because I'd made a stupid mistake, almost calling her a pros.ti.tute, hurting her feelings. I hadn't meant it like that though....it was too late to worry about that now. I'd have to live with my mistake, and hopefully Gwen wouldn't die because of it in the end.

The girls all seemed to be doing pretty well. They weren't without their problems, though, the counselor told me as she walked me out to my car. She told me they had a long long road ahead, and some of them have nightmares, and some of them were slow to start talking freely, and stuff like that.

They have problems. But they're doing better than anyone could expect, so that's good. In no time, they'll be readjusted to life, and have gotten their education finished from a private teacher who will start coming every day in a few months. And then probably around a year or so, they'll be guided out into the world with jobs, and apartments set up, to start the rest of their lives. They'll always have access to therapy though, as long as they need it. This was a great facility. Plenty of needy people have gone through these doors, been healed, and sent back into the world with the skills they needed to get through life. I left there feeling very, very happy, and well hugged again.

It all looked so promising, and they all looked so happy, that I couldn't help but want to visit Gwen. I'd tell her about the girls new life, and how happy they are, and how well they are doing. Hopefully Gwen would be able to hear me. I had to tell her. Because this all wouldn't have happened for them, if it weren't for Gwen working with me to help everyone.

I went from the girls' home directly back to Gwen's bedside at the hospital. I told her everything about my visit. I told her about the room that was set up and waiting for her to move in. I described it in every detail I could remember. I stayed all the rest of the day with Gwen. And I stayed all night long too. Slept on the chair, next to her bed. Held her hand as long as I could.

I did this for days and days and days. Weeks........