35

HARRY'S POV:

"You LOST, beeeeatch!" I yelled to Gwen. "Drink a shot. Do it! Now!"

Gwen had lost this hand of poker with me and Paul and Louis. They had suggested strip poker, but I had suggested....no.

They all pounded their fists on the table to cheer her on as she prepared to take her shot. She hated the stinging sensation of shots. The way it burnt her chest as it went down, and finally, the way it burned in her stomach. She had a chaser. But she sat there making pouty faces, getting up the nerve to do it. She was actually really good at poker, and usually beat us all. But this hand....she had the lowest cards, so it was her turn to take one of the 12 shots that had been on the table. After her shot, there'd only be 4 left. I think me, Lou and Paul had about equal amounts of losses. We'd have to pour more soon when Paul's girlfriend got here. It was a new girlfriend this time, but we'd already met her at Paul's flat a few times, and she was cool to hang with and got along great with Gwen. Her name was Tabby.

Of course, I had to meow to her every time I saw her, earning a few fists to my ribs. Couldn't help it. I called her Tabby cat. She told me I was soooo primary school, and sooooo unoriginal.

I told her I know.

Gwen swallowed her shot and the burning made her eyes water and her face scrunch into something I couldn't even describe, as we all laughed at her and high fived her. She did, but gave us all dirty glares meanwhile.

Paul got a text, and got up to go out and lead Tabby in, because she'd never been here before.

He nearly fell over the coffee table, and stumbled out the door. Tabby was in for a fun time with drunk Paul tonight. Not! Paul was cool when he was drunk though, so it would be all good.

Maybe two or three rounds later, I started hearing the typical banging and yelling coming from upstairs. Oh here it fucking goes again. We all looked up and cursed at the ceiling.

Gwen looked at me with a frown, and I announced that it wasn't my problem, and that I was gonna let it go this time. After all, I'm sure it happens plenty of times when I'm not here, and they always get through it somehow, right? Gwen nodded, and we continued.

But the banging became louder, and the guy upstairs yelling became more violent, and much louder.

We all tried to have fun, but it just wasn't working. Finally, when we heard a muffled "Please! Please help! Stop! Please!" clearly through the ceiling, I stood up with a frustrated breath out. "Jesus Christ....hold on lads. I'll be back in a bit", I announced, and everyone watched as I left to go upstairs.

"Be careful Harry!" Gwen said right before I closed the door behind me.

I stomped up the stairs, pis.sed off and drunk. But I knew I had to be "nice", because the guy upstairs was drunk, which was why he was being violent to his woman. Good fvcking times. Well, at least, it WAS, till this fvcking as.shole couldn't control his fvcking self. God, I wished they'd break up or move.

I hated being this woman's fvcking protector at this point. It's not like she was trapped with him. It's not like she was helpless. She COULD LEAVE his as.s. She COULD do that. And then she'd be fine. It's not like I don't like protecting someone, but only when they're in a situation they can't get out of. Or a first time or two.

But this woman KNOWS that there will be a few fights a month, when he gets drunk and violent. She KNOWS this. Yet, she stays. And it happens again. And again. And again. There's only so much care and protecting I can give someone until I realize they're not gonna do anything for themselves. So, why should I?