43 - Joe

(( ahh we're gonna make Joe a single dad in this bc.. why not ))

You were currently having about the best dream of your life. You were happily living in (fav tv show) and friends with (fav character).

So, when your phone started blaring and woke you up you were beyond mad. You narrowed your eyes at the screaming device, growling at it. Bringing it closer to your face you saw that it was Joe... and 2 in the morning.

You slid your finger across the screen, answering the call. You held the cold screen to your ear and didn't even have time to get a word in before Joe's panicked voice came through.

"(Y/N)! Please help! Ruby has a fever and- and she's really sick and I don't know what to do!" Joe's voice came out shaky and exhausted, his breathing heavy. You blinked, taking in this information.

"She's sick?" You asked.

"Yes! Her fever is 101 and I don't know what to do!" He exclaimed in reply.

"I'll be over, give me 15." You said, already getting out of the comforts of your bed.

"Thank you so much, (Y/N)." You heard Joe say before the line cut off.

You rushed to slip on your shoes and grab your car keys before exiting your apartment. Joe's house was well a half hour drive, but you had a severe case of lead foot right now.

You arrived at your brunet friend's house and were greeted at the door by said man. Joe quickly ushered you in, taking you to Ruby's room immediately.

The small girl laid there wrapped in blankets, a wet towel on her forehead and cheeks aflame with a crimson color. Your eyes widened as you felt your heart drop. She was really sick.

"I-I think I have a home remedy that might work, do you you have any ginger?" You asked, turning to look at Joe.

Now that you fully looked at him you almost gasped. His hair was messy, like he had been running his hands through it constantly. He was quite pale and also seemed to have bags under his eyes. He looked completely exhausted.

"Yeah, we should." Joe said, nodding to himself.

"Go check please? I'll stay here with Ruby." You said, smiling sweetly at the brunet. He nodded and left the room.

You now walked closer to the child's bed, taking a seat on the chair Joe must've placed in there earlier. Ruby's eyes opened a little and she looked at you.

"Hey sweetie." You greeted, rubbing back some of her dark brown hair while avoiding the rag on her forehead. Ruby mumbled something incoherent, then closed her eyes again.

"(Y/N), I found some." Joe said, making you look to the doorway. He was holding a spice bottle labeled "ginger" in big red letters.

You stood from the wooden chair and thanked him before taking the bottle. You headed to the kitchen and quickly got to work on an old tea remedy your mother used when you were younger.

It took about 10 minutes, but soon there was enough tea for a couple cups. You put some in a cup and walked to Ruby's room, seeing Joe cradling her in his arms when you got there.

"Here, just give her this." You informed, carefully handing Joe the cup. He took it and nodded.

"This'll be a little hot, but it'll make you feel better." Joe cooed at his daughter. Her glazed eyes looked at him and she tiredly nodded.

Joe carefully helped Ruby drink the home remedy tea, her face scrunching up at the taste a couple times.

After two cups of tea and a half an hour later, Ruby's fever had finally gone below 98. Joe heaved a sigh as he looked at the thermometer.

"I'm tired..." The small girl mumbled, yawning loudly. Joe chuckled and patted her head. He gently set Ruby back on her bed, tucking her in.

"Goodnight papa," She yawned, then looked at you. "Goodnight (Y/N)."

"Goodnight." You and Joe both replied, then left the room to let the child get her well deserved sleep.

Joe closed the door to her room, then turned to you with a smile. He hugged you, catching you off guard.

"W-what?" You asked, surprised.

"You helped her, you made her better, thank you." Joe said, hugging you tighter.

"Whoa there Joey, you're crushing me." You breathed out, tapped the man on the back. Joe let go of you finally, allowing you to breathe properly.

"Joe, you really don't-"

"Don't say it because yes I do have to thank you. I dragged you out here at 2 in the morning to help my child." He said, crossing his arms.

"You know I love her just as much as you." You said, rolling your eyes.

"I know, but you're the only person who would come to my house at 2 in the morning to help me and I thank you."

"If I accept your thanks will you shut up?" You asked, chuckling.

Joe nodded.

"Then I accept your thanks." You giggled.

You yawned now, tears stinging your eyes because of it. You rubbed your eyes, feeling the stinging sensation in them.

"You wanna sleep here?" Joe asked, knowing you were too tired to drive back home.

"Really?" You asked, yawning once more.

"Yup, I don't think I'd let you drive home with how exhausted you look." Joe chuckled.

You nodded in reply, too tired to gather the strength to talk.

"Off to bed." Joe announced, then led you to the guest bedroom.

You closed the door to the room after exchanging "goodnights" with Joe and happily crawled under the baby blue covers on the bed.

"He's so lucky I love him..." You mumbled to yourself before falling asleep.

(( A/N: it's almost 5 am where I live and I practically threw this up because I was ?? Bored idk this is probably reaLLY BAD OOPs also idk anything about that remedy I just found it online please don't take my advice on sickness and childcare I'm 14 ))