Chapter I

Oh the joy's of Bella's birthday. Dad informed me that I am supposed to be nice to her today. Me? Nice? Sometimes I swear my dad doesn't know me at all. "I thought I said, don't" Bella whined when Dad gave her the camera and scrapbook.

"Is that a gray hair?" Dad joked. I snorted and swallowed the other comments swirling in my head. Bella shrieked and ran to her mirror. I won't ever understand the female affinity to look young forever. I just don't get it. What's wrong with aging? Bella made some comment about how Dad wasn't funny. I think I was finally rubbing off on him. I smirked at the thought. Three rapid knocks sounded at the door and I fought a groan. "Ryanne, why don't you go let him in while Bella gets ready?"

I walked as slowly as I could down the stairs, hoping that maybe by some miracle, he would go away before I got to the door. I thought that I heard him laughing when I finally pried the door open, but chalked it up to my imagination. "Good morning Rye-Anne," he said. His voice was disturbing. Bella liked it, but it just sounded unnatural.

"It's pronounced Ryan, like the boy's name. So if you're not going to say it correctly, could you refrain from talking to me?" I said, pasting that obnoxious smile on my face.

"Ryanne, be nice to him. It's your sister's birthday," Dad said as he descended the stairs. He passed me, muttering, "She likes him and you're supposed to be being nice on her birthday." I stuck my tongue out and made a quiet sound like I was throwing up. "Be nice," he reminded me. I rolled my eyes and nodded in acceptance. "Go eat; Jake will be here soon."

I sat on the kitchen counter, munching away on a PopTart when Bella stumbled through the door. "Are you a Neanderthal? There is a table, you know," she said.

"Are you a mother? Oh wait, he won't touch you. There are other guys, you know," I said under my breath.

"I heard that!" Bella said in reprimand. I shrugged. "I don't understand why you don't like him."

"And I don't understand why you do. Let's chalk it up to personality differences and leave it at that, okay?" I heard a truck pull up and three short honks. "I've got to go; happy birthday Bella," I said. She grimaced and I grinned. What? I was only being nice and wishing my dear sister a happy birthday.

Jake was already out of the car, holding the door open for me. "If you took any longer, we were going to be late," he said. I rolled my eyes and slid in. "What were you doing?"

"Hating on the Boyfriend," I replied.

"I don't like him either but you don't see me hating on him," Jake said, ruffling my hair.

"Okay, one: my hair is curly and unruly enough without you doing that and two: you have a thing for Bella; of course you don't like him," I said. He rolled his eyes at that and I smirked. I love winning. We spent the rest of the ten minute drive in silence, Jake watching the road and me watching the trees.

I sighed quietly when the Rez came into view. I guess I should probably explain how a pale face got into the Rez's high school. I don't have many friends that actually live in Forks. I spent the majority of my time on the Rez with Jake and the guys. I mean, I probably know La Push better than I do Forks. So last year when we were supposed to be registering for classes, I convinced Dad to talk to Billy. Billy, being the Chief, went and talked to the school board. I don't know how he did it; I'm not sure I want to know, but he got me in.