Chapter CIX: Jacob's Point of View

It was one of those moments where everything happens so quickly, you can barely register what's moment that hand that was only slightly colder than a humans was on my arm and the next, I was standing over the demon spawn in wolf form, snarling. Edward hissed and lunged towards me. But it was his daughter that had crossed the border. Technically speaking, I could kill her right this very moment. It was part of the treaty that their father had made.

"Let go, Jacob." I could hear the doctor shouting at me, but the wolf in me wasn't listening to him.

"Jacob that is my daughter!" Bella appeared in front of me, prying me off of her. I winced as I heard the bone underneath her hand crunch. I jumped away from her and the spawn, making it clear to Quileute territory.

"I didn't mean to hurt you Jacob," she said then, turning her attentions back to me. "I know that you didn't mean to do that." But I did. I meant to harm whatever vampiric thing had touched me.

"We know that you don't want to hurt innocent people. That's what Renesmee is: innocent," Edward said then. "Just give us a chance to explain."

I gave you that chance. I won't do it again. Your child touched me, crossed the border. By the provisions in the treaty, I can kill her and your wife. They are on tribal territory and are threats to my people.

"We mean none of you harm, Jacob. Don't want to protect your mate? Your people? Stand with us against the Volturi," he begged.

You have no plan. I do. I plan to kill them, all of them. I plan to make sure that they can never come within one hundred miles of the things I care about again.

"You cannot kill them, Jacob. They are too powerful," he insisted.

"Edward is right. There is no way for you to kill them without losing your own life in the process. And while we have no plan currently, we are working on something. We are trying to find a way to save everyone, including Ryanne," the doctor interrupted.

You have never managed to save her before.

"The things that have happened were not our fault and beyond our control," the mind reader snapped.

Italy?

"I did not know that Bella had taken her sister. We did attempt to protect her."

Attempt being the key word in that sentence. Your attempts have never done anything to keep her from getting hurt. And your mate over there hasn't helped the situation.

"Bella never intended for her to come to harm," he hissed. I growled and barked at him.

"Jacob, please phase back and talk to me," Bella begged. I turned and snarled at her. She was still on my territory, on my land.

"Let me just talk to Ryanne; she'll explain everything to you."

Ryanne doesn't want to talk to her, I directed at Edward. If she wanted to see her sister, she would've come when you called for her.

"Bella, Ryanne is not wanting to speak to us, any of us at the moment."

"But she will want us to be together again. Now that I'm here, we can be a family again. My father wouldn't have to lose his daughter. Isn't that what she cares about?" Bella asked then, her brows furrowed. She hoisted her daughter to her hip like the little thing weighed nothing.

Your sister cares about the people who care about her. In other words, not you. Edward hissed at me for my thoughts. My apologies in his mate was offended by my words. Mates... Annie. I needed to leave. I needed to be with her. Preferably before I snapped at someone else and caused a war.

"There is no harm done here, Jacob," Carlisle said after Edward repeated my desire to go home.

"Return to your mate. We will call when we have figured out a more solidified plan." I nodded. The doc didn't bother me as much as the rest of them.

Without a backwards glance, I sprinted for home. The smell of leech stuck with me for a while, but when it did, I could smell the Pack and the sweetest scent in the entire world: Annie.

Her scent brought her to my more immediate thoughts. All I wanted was to get home, shower, and get in bed. I wanted to curl up around her, have her wrapped up in my arms. I wanted her to be with me where I knew nothing could get to her. I would go and check on her before taking a shower. I could breathe a little easier once I knew that she was safe.

As quietly as a frantic man could, I opened the front door and made my way to the back of the house. I cracked my head on the doorframe as I walked in. I must be getting taller. It was ironic that now that we had the door, it was never really closed. Especially if I wasn't home from patrol or if I left. I wanted to know that she was right there, in that bed waiting for me. I peered in, the moon casting a glow over everything in my put Annie. She wasn't there. But I could smell her. Why wasn't she in here? She should be right here.

And then I heard the groan of the pipes in the house. Leave it to Annie to be in the bathroom when I got home. She was trying to kill me, I swear. I don't even think she realized it. I walked down the hall, assaulted by the dank smell of vomit.

"Annie?" I breathed as I pushed the door open. She was slumped down against the cabinets beneath the sink, her forehead resting on the now closed lid of the toilet.

"Annie girl," I muttered, rushing to kneel in front of her. I pressed my hand against her forehead like I, of all people, would be able to feel the change in her temperature.

What had I been thinking when I left her? Her day had been so long with so many emotions. I shouldn't have left her in this house all alone.

"What's wrong baby girl?" I whispered, trying not to wake my father. "You want me to take you over to Sue's?"

She shook her head, slumping over a little in exhaustion. "I feel better now," she replied."It's the imprint bond; that's all."

"I shouldn't have left Annie. I'm sorry." I slipped my hand down her shoulders and pulled closer to my chest. She followed like a rag doll, limp in my arms.

"Let's get you cleaned up, okay?" I hoisted her up by her armpits and settled her on the counter. I used a wet cloth and dabbed at her face, cleaning the dried bits of bile away from the corners of her mouth.

"I woke up and you were gone. I didn't mean to freak out, it just sort of happened. You dad was already asleep and I didn't want to wake him up or anything. And then I just started to feel sick," she muttered weakly. I shouldn't have left her so alone. She had been through shit and it was wrong of me.

"I'm sorry that you got sick, Annie. I shouldn't have left you here. Especially not after the day that you had." I set down the cloth and looked at her trembling little body. Her tank top had fallen to reveal part of her bra that I had forgotten to take off before I tucked her in. She must've gotten to hot because she sat there in only her underwear.

"But I'm here now. Okay? We'll get you in bed. I'll stay right here by your side, okay?"

I gathered her up in my arms, although she weighed less than nothing to me, and carried her down to the bedroom. Her heartbeat slowed, her head resting on my chest. I hummed while I walked, the same little lullaby that my mother used to sing. She rubbed her face against my cheeks like a kitten.

"Where did you go?" she whispered suddenly. "You brought me home."

"I did. I had to go and run an errand. I didn't think that I would be gone as long as I was. I'm so sorry, Annie. I didn't think that you would wake up before I came home. I never meant for you to wake up alone." I set her down on the bed for only a brief moment while I laid down next to her. Smelling like a parasite didn't matter anymore. "Tomorrow we can talk about what we're going to do, okay? What I went to do, I mean. But let's go to bed now." She nodded, her cheek rubbing against my bare skin. "And I promise that I'll tell you everything in the morning, okay?"

There was nothing in response. "Annie?" I sat up to look at her, but she only snored at me. I tried to quiet my chuckle but it was pointless. I nuzzled her neck with a slight smile.

"When all this is over, Ryanne, we're going to have our happily ever after. I know that you love those damn books where everyone falls in love and lives their lives together. I'm going to give you that, Ryanne. Just you wait."