Chapter CXXVI

I woke up the same way I had for two days now, completely unaware of the time now. Jake and I would wake up every few hours. He would make dinner or breakfast. I don't think we actually knew what meal it was. Jake just made whatever he felt like and I just ate it.

The rain had started to drizzle down sometime the day before. Jake, being the mechanic that he is, made a tent out of the tarp that he'd used to cover the food. It was a good thing that La Push was so cold. The tarp captured the warmth from the sun and kept us, well me, just a little warmer during the day.

He may have said that we were out here to enjoy being alone, but it didn't stop him from taking a half hour run every morning while he thought I was still sleeping. I couldn't really say anything. He was just doing his job as an Alpha. I think the wolf in him knew what time it was. It was always around the same time that he would get up, trying to replace his warmth with a blanket. It was impossible, but he tried. A few moments later, I would hear a quiet howl and the rustling of the trees. The man was married to his work.

A little while later, he would come back to the campsite. After two days of him running away, I was getting a little tired of it. What was the point of a vacation if he wasn't going to enjoy himself? "How's everything at home?" I asked.

"I don't know," he replied with a shrug.

"You don't know? No one was on patrol when you phased just now?" I said with a cocked eyebrow.

"I'm not checking in," he said like he was hurt. "I'm not Sam, Annie. I don't need to check in to make sure that they're doing the things that I asked them to."

"So then why are you phasing every morning?" I asked him. He couldn't say that I was wrong. I had caught him in a lie. There was no reason why he should be phasing every day.

"Because I have to pee, okay?" he said exasperated. I watched his face flushed a little. "I feel weird doing it human. I kind of convinced myself that it's normal for me to do it in wolf form," he admitted.

I couldn't help myself. I tossed myself back on my makeshift bed and just started laughing. Of all the things that had been going through my head, going to bathroom wasn't one of them. Hell, I told myself that he might just need to go on a run to work out some excess energy. But the idea that he was embarrassed about peeing in the woods hadn't occurred to me.

I was rolling onto my side to help the air get into my lungs when the trucked groaned and shook. Jake collapsed down next to me, his face still reddening. "It's not that funny, Annie," he said.

"Yeah it is!" I laughed. He pulled me into his side, not happy with what I was doing.

"I'll give you something to laugh at," he threatened, but it didn't stop the giggles that were threatening to overtake me completely. His hand feathered over my waist in little pinches. I was laughing so hard, it hurt.

"Stop, stop!" I begged him breathlessly. "Stop!" He just kept tickling me. "Jake, stop!"

"Stop laughing at me!" he threatened. But he wouldn't stop his attack on me which made it impossible for me to stop laughing. "Until you stop laughing at me, I won't stop tickling you."

"I can't," I whined. A stitch was forming in my side. I couldn't breathe and the ribs on my right side were starting to kill me. "I can't breathe!" He just kept going. So I resorted to the only thing that I had left.

I fell still, contracting my muscles to keep his touches from getting to me. Jake's hands dropped away from my body. "Annie?" I lulled my head to the side, looking away from him and relaxed everything in my body. "Annie?" He was panting a little. I waited until he was good and worried, his hand resting on my waist to shout and jump on him.

"That was not funny," he informed me. I just leaned down and kissed him. "I'm serious. I thought something was wrong."

"You always think that something is wrong," I replied simply. Before he could frame his response, I'd leaned down and pressed my lips to his. "What you did," I whispered in the moment that I pulled away, "was rude." I felt him shiver as my lips brushed his collarbone. "You should apologize."

I bit my lip and glared at him, daring him to tell me otherwise. He leaned down to kiss me slowly, sucking my bottom lip into his mouth. "You were laughing at me," he whined. He rolled me over. "You should be the one apologizing."

"In your dreams!" I laughed back. I knew it was a cheap shot, but I tossed my knee into his hip with force that would bruise a human. He groaned, the initial impact actually hurting him. I seized the moment and rolled him over.

His hand came to rest on my hips while I quickly pulled my shirt over my head, leaving myself in a sports bra and my favorite spandex shorts. I leaned down, feeling slightly reminiscent of the day we had spared together. With my hands on his wrists to fruitlessly pin him down, I dragged my hips up his slowly and leaned my body down to his. "You should apologize," I muttered against his throat. He moaned in want but quickly shook his head and growled.

"I have nothing to be sorry for," he said, but the words were hard and mean as he fought for control. I cocked my head to the side. "You were the one that pretended to be hurt so that you could get to me."

"You," I breathed against his sternum, planting a firm kiss there, "shouldn't have been tickling me." His breath hitched as I moved my mouth to his sides, gently kissing his ribs. "Say that you're sorry," I commanded. I moved to the other side of his chest, trailing my mouth down the indentation between his ribs.

"No." I moved my way up his chest again, nipping gently at his chin. My mouth hovered over his while I rolled my hips again. He groaned and stretched his neck to try to get to me. I pulled back, still close enough that he could feel my breath on his face, but not within reach. "You're evil," he declared.

"It's because I spend so much time with you," I retorted. "But you could prove that you're not evil. Apologize." I stared at him through narrowed eyes and ground myself against him again.

Big mistake.

Jake flipped is over before I even saw anything coming. He forcefully leaned down to kiss me. My body wanted to react, but my brain got its way for once. I forced my arms to stay locked at the side and my mouth to stay stationary. Which was way harder than it should've been. I liked kissing this boy way too much. He growled, digging his fingers into my waist and resting his weight on his forearms. "Seriously?" he said when he wasn't getting any response from me.

"Apologize?" I tempted, licking my lips out of habit. "It's just two simple words, Jacob." He groaned and tried to kiss me again, but I kept myself strong and steady. He growled and tried again, his tongue sweeping along the line that my lips created. I ignored him and pursed my lips tighter. He snarled, collapsing his weight on top of me. "You're really going to keep trying?" I teased.

His hands traveled up the flat expanse of my stomach sending goosebumps to rake my skin. I swallowed the moan that rose in my chest, biting down hard on my tongue to keep the sound from escaping. "I know you want me, Ryanne," he breathed into my ear.

"That's what you think," I teased. "But I couldn't care one way or another." He growled again, his head resting against my neck. "You just have to say it and this could all be over," I added. He was fighting this so hard, it was almost entertaining. The vein in his forehead was throbbing as he suppressed his frustration towards me. It was the Alpha in him. He was the one that laid down the law and the rest of us were just supposed to lay down and submit. It was always a humbling experience for him to have to be the one to submit. I wouldn't want all that Alpha power to go to his head. I kissed the skin above his ear, being the only part of him that I could reach. He groaned. "Just say it, Jacob Black."

"Oh dear God! I'm sorry that I tickled you," he moaned.

The power of being an imprint.