Chapter CVII: Jacob's Point of View

I phased before Sam had a chance to lunge at me and threaten me or my imprint. I stood in front of her, feeling the soft skin of her cheeks on the fur of my hind legs. Nothing was going to get to her. Not Sam and no fucking leeches.

I got her, Jake, Leah called in my head. She and jared appeared on either side of me, keep Annie boxed in between them. She was struggling somewhere between afraid and bored. There was a part of her that seemed to have accepted the fact that Sam and I ere going to fight.

"Please Sam!" Emily's voice rang in my ears. Sam growled at her and she silenced. Annie was the mate of the Alpha and it was clear in everything she did. If I were to growl at her, she would never back down like that. No, she would snap back at me and tell me to keep my fucking head straight.

Sam sprang forward, but it wasn't quick enough. Annie must have decided on bored because she plopped herself down on the ground with a sigh. I wished that I could be I Sam's head, that I could tell him that he needed to back down. I settled for a low growl in my throat, daring him to get back up. It was high time that he backed down. I was the rightful Alpha.

He snarled back at me and used his paws to push me off. But I rolled on top of him, crushing his windpipe underneath my own foot.

Back down Sam! But he couldn't hear me so he would't know that it was time for me to take over.

Jesus, could she be any calmer about this? Seth asked, a vision of Annie drumming her fingers her forehead as she waited for this to be over. I watched the back of her, wishing that I could just hold her in my arms and get out of here. Sam tried to escape my grasp, but couldn't quite manage it.

I pressed down harder on his neck, feeling his pulse thrum under the pads of my paws. I could hear his lungs struggling for a breath. This was what it was going to come down to. Sam could come within moments of his life, because I would never kill him, or he could submit. I waited impatiently until the whine sounded, the whine that meant that he was done. He was no longer Alpha.

My head flooded with voices, voices I hadn't heard in what seemed like ages.

What the hell is going on? Paul grouched.

Tell them Sam, I commanded in a dark voice.

I have stepped down. Jacob is the rightful Alpha.

Leeches are coming for Ryanne. We need to protect her, I said simply.

There were hundreds of sentences being thrown at me but they weren't really being heard. Everyone but Leah phased out and marched into the house while I turned around to find Annie. I turned to find her staring at me with those beautiful blue eyes. We were so opposite in so many ways but the same in many more.

As far as appearances went, Annie and I were yin and yang. But she had the qualities of a great Alpha. She would lead the women of our tribe better than any of the other Alpha females I had read about. I touched my nose to her forehead, watching her smile in response. It was the happiest that I had seen her in the last couple of days.

"Looks like everything went well," she commented. Better than just well, but I couldn't exactly tell her that.

Instead I just smiled and let my tongue fall out of my mouth like a common puppy. I reached forward and licked her, trying to convey some emotion to her. She promptly giggled and swiped her arm down her face.

"We're going to have to teach you not to lick," she joked. Yeah right; next she'd be teaching me how to play fetch. I had to go phase and she had to go inside. I nodded towards the two places, trying to tell her.