Chapter LI: Jacob's Point of View

"Jake," an angelic voice called.

"Jake, Bella's here." I stirred, lifting my head from Annie's shoulder. It was a miracle that she stayed with me. I was constantly falling asleep in the middle of whatever we were doing. She never said anything about it, never said that it bothered her or anything, but I was sure it couldn't be something that made her happy.

"What's she doing here?" Had the Cullen finally let her have a real life again? Annie just shrugged, but there was something off in her eyes, like she wasn't telling me something. After the way that Bella had treated Annie, I was getting more than a little fed up with her. All Ryanne ever tried to do was be good to her sister. Hopefully she was going to apologize after all the text messages I had sent her. It was the only communication I gave her.

"What are you doing her, Bella?" I asked when I had Annie's hand safely tucked within mine.

"I can walk on my own," Annie said defiantly. She pulled away from me and I let her, trying to remember her desire to do things on her own.

Why was that so difficult for me? I wanted to blame her and say that she could've just allowed me to be in control. But she wanted a real relationship and those were about compromise. So I was learning, telling myself that she was safe so long as she was on the Rez.

"You told me to come and see you, Jacob." I guess I had said that, hadn't I? "I just came to hang out."

Why did I feel like I was going to regret this entire thing?

"I told her she could come down, Rye," I said, looking down at the pale beauty beside me. She just shrugged again. Why wouldn't she say something?

"Let's just get in the house, guys," I said, hoping that I could address this all in just a moment.

"Hey Bella," Annie finally said. I was so proud of her; she didn't even roll her eyes. "How's everything going?"

"I think I need to apologize to you." See, a nice little family reunion that Annie will never know that I had anything to do with.

"I didn't mean to seem like I didn't care when I heard that Victoria attacked you. I was just surprised that she got to you and you got away. And I was relieved that you weren't really hurt." Well dear God, the least you could've done was make it sound a little more sincere, Bella. Annie would never believe that shit.

"I'm fine, Bella. Thanks for the concern." Well that was much better than I thought what was going to come out of her mouth.

"Jake, I'm going to head over to the Clearwaters'. I'll talk to you later."

She didn't give me the chance to say anything, just turned away from me and walked out of the house.

"Bella, I'll be right back," I said in passing. "Are you okay?" She pasted a fake smile on her face.

"I'm fine; I just wanted to talk to Leah about Nate," she answered easily enough.

"Leah's on patrol." She knew that; Leah had told her about that earlier.

"I'll see if Sue needs any help. Leah was saying that she needed some help clearing out some of Harry's old things. I don't think Lea and Seth want to help with that." She would know, probably thinking about clearing out my mom's things. Still...

"You said it yourself, you invited her down here." Yeah but I never thought the leech would let her. "Hang out with her. I'll see you for dinner." I was only trying to be a man of my word.

"You're mad that she's here?"

"No, but Bella and I don't get along too well. She's made it clear that I am not a priority for her," Annie said, but there was no bitterness in her tone. She was just calmly stating a fact.