Chapter CXXX: Jacob's Point of View

I don't think anything is scarier than watching your imprint stand chest to chest with a vampire. The homicidal mother vamp of the kid that I was trying to take made it even worse. Edward glared at me over Annie's head, but I don't know if it was because of my thoughts about Bella or the words that my girl was shouting at him. I didn't really care. I was watching carefully, trying to make sure that no one was going to try and attack her.

Everything kind of exploded when Nessie said that she wanted to to go home with us, with the people that she felt were her family; her real family. I was kind of shocked when the blonde, prissy leech said that she was more than willing to let Ness go if they would still be allowed to see her. I thought that it was only fair, actually. Despite the fact that Edward and the Bitch were selfish as can be, Nessie needed to keep in contact with the rest of the Cullens. What if she had a vampire question none of us can answer. I was pissed that none of the Cullens had done anything to protect Renesmee from her mother and the selfishness of her father, but I had to give up on it at some point.

After I carefully avoided killing the vampires around me, I got my family into our house and safe. Charlie gathered Renesmee up in a tight hug for a brief moment, but quickly dropped her to the ground. "You will never do that again," he said sternly. She smiled and nodded, clearly apologetic. "Go to your room and go to sleep," he commanded. She nodded again and whispered a goodnight to all of us. I took Annie out to sit on the porch swing and watch the sun sink below the tree line. She smiled at me and rested her head against my shoulder and sighed happily.

"Were you trying to get yourself killed?" I asked her. "You could have fought for her without going toe to toe with a vampire."

She laughed at me like I was being ridiculous and smiled up at me. "You called her your niece," she muttered, grabbing my arm and wrapping it around her shoulders. "I thought that you didn't care?"

"You're the one that told her that she isn't a part of your family," I countered.

"That was before I knew her," she replied with a yawn. "You're not really one to talk about speaking before you know what you're talking about." She yawned again, blinking hard against the exhaustion that was sweeping over her.

"Let's get you to bed," I said, pulling her close, planning on picking her up and taking her to our room. But she leaned into me as much as she could, trying to pin me down with her body weight. Her arm contorted at a weird angle as she grabbed the lightweight blanket and covered herself in it. She pulled the edge of the blanket up to her cheek, rubbing both the fabric and her skin against mine. "This isn't our bed," I informed her. She leaned against me a little more and hooked her ankle around my knee, pulling my leg up along the length of the porch.

"I'm quite comfortable right here," she informed me. I wrapped my arm tighter around her waist and used the opposite hand to draw circles on her skin. "You called her your niece," she said in a sing-songy whisper. "You called her your niece," she repeated over and over until I had to kiss her to get her to shut up.

"You're not funny," I breathed against her neck.

"I'm hysterical," she muttered back, but I could hear her voice dripping with sleep as she fought the darkness that was going to claim her. "Admit that I'm funny," she said. I peered down at her to see her smiling up at me. "You called her your niece," she began again.

"Oh for the love of God; you're funny Annie!" I said, trying to get her to shut the hell up. "Time to go to bed, Rye. Sleep tight, baby girl," I whispered to her. She sighed again but this time it was the exhaustion of the day catching up with her.

"Good night," she replied.

I waited until her blue eyes were completely shut and a healthy blush had stolen over her cheeks, her body temperature warm from the blanket and me, to rest my head on the arm of the porch swing. Her black curls were an unruly mess, wrapping around my fingers and threatening to tangle themselves around my forearm. Her pink mouth opened in an adorable little pout as I shifted to stretch out more across the swing. How exactly did I end up with an imprint that was beautiful and smart and funny and brave? How exactly did I end up with her? I tightened my grip on her and let the night air sweep me off to a place where vampires were just a thing of the past.

A howl pierced the air what felt like moments later. My eyes opened wide right away. That was the signal for leeches. Shit! I scooted myself away from the beauty in my arms, cradling her head in my hand. Her mouth opened to a wide 'o' as she was disgruntled with the motions of the swing as I left her sitting there. I had to hurry, which meant that I needed to sprint faster than I had ever done in my life. But not before I covered her with another blanket to make sure that she would be warm while I was gone.

I phased as soon as I hit the tree line and sprinted after my brothers. All that leeches that have been passing through here over the last few months are at the treaty line, Leah grumbled. I could see her sitting in bed with Nate, leaning against his side when the howl sounded. She growled, pissed off that she had to get out of bed.

Sorry; didn't mean to ruin your night, I whispered to her. I flashed an image of me and Annie sitting on the porch swing together and falling asleep.

We can all commiserate about how we're in the same boat or we could deal with the problem at home, Paul snapped. A picture or Charlie and Ari sitting asleep on the couch caught my eye immediately. He was right; we all had things that were being missed out on at the moment.

The creek came into sight and a few dozen vampires stood on the other side, regarding us with wary eyes. The few that I had met before were slightly less on edge than the others, but all in all, everyone looked scared out of their minds. Carlisle stepped up to the front of the group. "We're here to discuss Renesmee," he said. "Peacefully." I growled, but there was no one there to interpret for me.

Blonde Bitch stepped forward. "You were right about my brother and his wife," she said. "They put their own desires before the needs of my niece. And as much as I hate you mongrels, you are the things that my niece has decided to live with." I glared at her, trying not to let her know that I was glad that she had a brain.

"We just want the best for her," Esme whispered although her voice sounded a little broken. "I'm sure that you're wondering about the witnesses," she said I dipped my head in a nod.

One of the Arabs, I think his name was Ben, stepped forward and spoke up. "We don't want the little one to be unhappy, but the Volturi will come after her and kill her if they don't have enough people to witness for her." He was young, his eyes bright red, and the stench of blood lingering on him. "We have no where else to stay if we're not with the Cullens. And Edward won't leave until he's sure that his daughter will be safe."

"It's my son, Jacob," Carlisle said, drawing my attention to him again. "I can't ask him to leave. Could you imagine your father asking her to leave because you made a mistake? Or because you thought you were doing the right thing in sticking by the woman that you loved?" Annie would never do any of the things that Bella had done. Ever. "No matter how much you disagree with what they've done, it's still their daughter that we're talking about here."

"We want to stay here with the Cullens, perhaps see the child every once in a while," one of the tall, dark Amazonian women said then. "But we understand that she is under your protection. We will witness for her still." I nodded again, wishing that I could thank them for their cooperation with us.

"But," the big burly Cullen said, "they refuse to tie themselves to us." Good, at least these things still had some sense! I dipped my head again.

Carlisle stepped forward again. "I would shake your hand if I could, but I can't." I nodded in understanding. "Thank you for taking care of my granddaughter." I nodded again. "We will still help out where we can. Contact us if you need any information." I nodded again.

What we needed to know was when the Volturi were coming.