Chapter LXXIV

A blood curdling, heart wrenching scream tore through the air, scaring away the darkness that had been surrounding me. Another one quickly ripped the air. Again and again they sounded until I was staring up at a ceiling that I would recognize anywhere. I wanted to smile, but the pain wouldn't go away. I moaned and a growl sounded around me, the sound echoing in the room.

"What are you doing to her?" Embry?

"I am just trying to clean her wounds," a quiet voice said. Ice prodded at my calf, dabbing and stinging. I groaned again and tried to move away, but the ice wrapped around my ankle, holding me still. The screams sounded again.

"Where is she?" a gruff voice said. Jake?

I shoved the icy hand away from my body and sat up.

"You're awake," Esme Cullen said. I had never really met her, but as far as vampires went, she was motherly looking. Still dangerous, but very motherly. "Let me finish cleaning your wounds," she commanded.

"Let me see Jake, please," I begged, trying to move. I tried to push myself up, but found my arm collapsing. Something warm wrapped around my shoulders, holding my up.

"Jake?" I begged, hopeful.

"Sorry, Ryanne, it's Embry," he said. I nodded.

"Where's Jake?" As if on cue, another scream rocketed through the air. "What is going on in there, Em?" He didn't answer.

"Esme," a voice called. Dr. Cullen appeared in the hall. I couldn't believe that Jake was allowing him in this house. "Is she awake?"

Esme nodded. I could hear Jake whimpering in his room, moaning every time that he moved.

"Please let me go see him," I begged, hoping that the doctor would let me go see him. Embry started shuttering as Esme touched my leg again.

"Go run, Em; they won't hurt me here."

"We won't hurt you sweetie," Esme said. I heard the implied ever, I just didn't care. Embry looked at me again, but I could see him struggling. I nodded, silently giving him permission to leave. He stood then and walked towards the forest, trying not to run.

"Where is she, Dad?" I heard Jake said.

"I have more bones to set, Ryanne. But he won't let me. I was thinking that you being in there would help. That is, of course, if you don't mind being there," Carlisle began, I tried to push myself up again.

"Ryanne," he began, gently pushing me down. "He will be in pain, pain that you won't be able to stop." I nodded, sitting up again. "He will scream and he might lash out." Jake would never hurt me. The imprint would never allow him to do that.

"Please let me see her," Jake begged. "Please," he moaned. I could practically hear his pain.

Carlisle helped me upright, bending down to pick me up.

"No," I said. "I want to walk."

"I don't know if you can, Ryanne," Esme said. I shook my head. "It will hurt," she warned. I would walk through fire if that meant that I could see Jake again. I pushed myself to a standing position, trying unsuccessfully to take a step. I sank down to the ground with a pained yelp.

"Here," Esme said, reaching towards me.

"No," I protested. "I'm fine." It took me a while to get myself standing but once I was up again, I leaned against the wall. Using the various things around the house for support, I stumbled towards the bedroom door. As soon as I walked through the threshold that led to Jake's bedroom, I almost wished I hadn't gone. He looked... terrible. He was covered in sweat, his arms and legs still distorted. There was blood dripping onto his sheets, turning a faint pink as it spread out in the fabric. Billy was staring at him, a worried expression on his face.