Chapter LXXXIV

I woke up curled against Jake, but he was still asleep. I looked over his head at the glowing numbers on the alarm clock. 6:30. I wasn't sure when Jake had come in, but I'm sure that it was only a few hours ago. I sat up, enough to reach his cheek. I kissed him gently, prying his hands from my waist and arm and getting off of the bed. Jake growled a little in his sleep, rolling over and grabbing the blanket that I had been using.

As I started the coffee pot and checked the fridge for breakfast, I could vaguely recall what Jake had said last night when he got home. Or, I guess it was this morning. I poured my cup of coffee and sat on the counter, holding the mug between my hands. He'd had absolutely no right to go talk to my father about my relationship with my sister. I understood that he was only trying to do what he thought was best for me. But this was my decision. I was supposed to get to choose what I wanted to do with my life.

"That's a hard thinking face," Billy said as he rolled into the kitchen. I hopped off the counter and handed Billy is own mug of coffee. "Is there anything I can help you with?" I just shrugged. "It's the boy's fault, isn't it?" I just laughed a little.

"It's nothing that he did, Billy. I just have to decide how angry I am at him."

"Oh you're livid at him," Billy said with a smile.

"I usually am." I patted the old man's shoulder and made my way to the fridge. "I'll get started on breakfast. Is my dad coming over?"

"Now that the Pack has dealt with the vampire army, his work has slowed down a little." I nodded. "We're heading out today," he added. I nodded, thinking about pastrami sandwiches and chips that I could pack for them.

"I'll get you guys some lunch together," I promised him.

"We can survive without you, Ryanne," Billy laughed. The good news was that they would never have to. Not if I had anything to do with it. Or Jake for that matter.

I was still mad at Jake as Billy rolled himself out of the kitchen and out to the porch. He spent so much time on the front porch every morning. I popped the biscuits into the oven and covered the eggs that I had on the stove.

"Ryanne, could you come here please?"

"On my way," I called back, refilling my coffee cup and pulling Jake's shirt a little lower on my legs. I padded out to the front porch and stood next to his chair. "Yes, Billy?"

"Have a seat," he said, gesturing to the porch swing. I was instantly concerned. I took my place on the little swing, legs curled underneath me. We sat there in silence, Billy just staring out over the tree line. I was worried about my biscuits burning, but I didn't just want to leave Billy sitting out there.

"I used to sit out here every morning with Sarah," he said quietly. "Before the kids would go to school, we would wake up in the morning and drink coffee on the front porch. It was a little time to ourselves every morning." I smiled at him. "She would've been happy that Jake finally pulled his head out of his ass."

"Billy!" I had never heard the old man curse before.

"It's the truth. Although I'm worried that he's getting ready to stick it back up there," he said seriously.

"Are you ready to tell me what happened?"

Billy was kind of the like mom in my convoluted family. Not in a bad way. Billy was the parent that I could go to and talk to about anything. He helped me work through everything that I had going on in my head. I suppose it was from the years of dealing with Rebecca and Rachel. "He went to my dad without telling me. He told my dad about me and Bella."

"And where's the problem with that?"

"It's not his decision. It's my life, my relationship with my dad, and -"