Chapter VIII: Jacob's Point of View

Annie was a good driver, no matter how afraid she was. I felt bad making her drive, but I could barely move. Her hand holding mine was the only thing anchoring me to the world. She drove cautiously, the implications of the day weighing down on her. But it wasn't long before we were on the Rez, pulling up to my house quickly.

"Whose car is that?" I asked trying to keep agitation from my voice. I just wanted to go to my room and sleep. "Does someone really have to be here? I mean, seriously? Who the fuck thinks that today is the day to be here? Mom died seven years ago today!" There was movement on the front porch, the lights flickering on and a woman making her way down the steps. "Mom?" I said before I had time to think.

"It's Rebecca,"Annie said. She got out of the car and helped me out. My stomach felt like it was boiling. My arms were shaking uncontrollably from pain. I whimpered. I didn't want to see my sister when I felt like this. It had been two years. Two years and she decided to come back. Where the hell had she been for two years? Didn't she think that Dad needed her? Didn't she think that I needed her. "Let's just get you inside," Annie said. She tossed my arm over her shoulder and wrapped a hand around my waist, her touch soothing away my irritation.

"She chose a hell of a day to come back," I muttered.

"The world doesn't stop because of what happened," Annie replied as he walked up the stairs. My sister stood on the top step, her hands resting on her hips.

"Jacob!" Rebecca shouted shrilly. "Why was Dad home alone?" I had just gotten in the door. It had been two years since I'd seen my sister. Couldn't we start with some fucking introductions?

"Jake," Annie said quietly. I looked at her questioningly. "You said that out loud," she told me. "He's sorry Rebecca, he really is. He's just not feeling well tonight," she said. I looked at her like she was stupid. I was beyond "not well." Rebecca stared at Annie too, anger in her eyes. "Go to bed; I'll make you some tea before I leave," she commanded.

"Why are you here?" Rebecca sneered at her. I began to turn and tell her to leave Annie alone, but the little pale face in question just shoved me towards my door. What had Annie ever done to her?

"I was just bringing Jake home. He doesn't feel well," she explained. I turned to grab my door, only to find it gone. I just wanted some quiet.

"So they still allow you in the house?" Becca continued.

"Rebecca, don't start this tonight. Your mother wouldn't want this," Dad said. I heard footsteps and the quiet clicking of our gas stove trying to light.

"How do any of us know what Mom would want? We can't know that anymore," Rebecca said. "I thought two years away from this place would be the right idea. I thought I could get a break and come back. But now I think that Rachel had the right idea. This place is poison. She killed our mother, Dad, and you let her come in this house like she owns in?" I heard stomping and the creak of the front door. "I'm leaving."

"Rebecca, don't!" Annie shouted, her quiet footsteps hurrying to the front door. How was Annie seriously going to ask my sister to stay? She was the one acting like a bitch. "Please; I'll leave if you want me to. I just came to take care of your brother and check on your dad. Don't leave; it would mean a lot to them if you stayed."

The door slammed shut. "You should be taking care of them. The person who should've been here, you took her from them. The woman who should've helped me with my wedding, you took her from me. The wife, the mother, the sister, the friend, the person who should've grown old alongside my dad; you stole her from all of us. You deserve nothing but misery in your life. You took my mother and forced my father into a wheelchair for the rest of his life!"