Chapter LXXVIII

Jake had packed a variety of clothing. I was actually kind of surprised that he managed to think of all the things that he managed to think of. Apparently the boy was paying attention, more than I had thought. I grabbed the little squirt bottle that both Jake and I used and wetted my hair down, allowing the curls to recurl around themselves.

Look nice.

That was about as helpful as telling me that we were sleeping in this hotel tonight. A better explanation would be, oh I don't know, the name of the restaurant that we were going to. I dusted my eyelids in some shimmery shit that I barely knew how to use. But if there was one thing that Emily had taught me, it was how to be a girl. I drew the thin line on my my eyelid, just along my lashes. Then I painted the little monsters with that black sticky stuff. And then I turned to find my clothing.

"Jake, where are we going tonight?" I asked him as I pulled the door open.

"Why?"

"Because I want to know what I should wear," I said. This was common sense. You dress for the occasion.

"I would wear clothing if I were you." Cheeky bastard.

"Okay, let's try another way to do this. Dress, skirt, or nice shirt and jeans?" He just chuckled.

"I don't know, Annie, whatever you feel comfortable with," I heard him reply. I pulled my shirt over my head and tossed it outside.

"So I'll just go naked," I called back.

He growled and grabbed my shirt, bursting into the bathroom and lifting me onto the counter.

"You're going to put on a fucking parka," he snarled, his lips pressing against mine possessively. He stood and pulled away from me.

"We're going to an upscale sports place," he said. I smiled. I could get the boy to cave for anything without even trying. "So wear whatever you feel is appropriate for that. But do me a favor and put some clothing on."

I pulled some skinny leg jeans on, the ones that Leah and I had bought ages ago. They were a little tighter than I would normally wear and a little shimmery. I pulled a white tank top on over my blue camisole so that the color showed through just a little bit. I topped the look off with a pair of ankle boots that were decently heeled. I stepped out of the bathroom then to find Jake waiting with his own off-white shirt stretch across the muscles of his arms. I had almost decided that I would rather stay in when he turned around and looked at me with a smile.

"You look gorgeous," he said, reaching out a hand for me to take.

I smiled and thanked him, placing my hand in his. We walked down the hall way and waited for the elevator to get to us, his thumb drawing lazy circles around the back of my hand.

"What do you think is going on with Leah and Nate?" I asked quietly.

"I thought we were avoiding all things supernatural," he said. I just looked at him. "Leah told him about the wolf stuff and he didn't react all that well. When she said that she'd imprinted on him, he asked her to leave." I sighed. That would explain everything. Leah would be upset. She'd finally gotten to the point where she was putting herself out there again and Nate had just rejected her. My shoulders fell a little.

"We're not talking about this anymore. He can't fight the imprint, Annie. And even if he could, he loves her. We've all seen her come back from her own personal hell. He made that happen. Things will work out." He pressed his lips against my temple.

"You're taller," he noted.

"They're called heels," I informed him, lifting my foot to show him my shoes.