Chapter LXII

If I had thought that Jake was ridiculous before we found out about the vampire army, I had no idea what was in store. I was all but quarantined to the house, school, and the gym. And one wolf being with me was no longer enough for Jake. No, I was stuck with at least three in the house, Leah and Jake at the gym, and everyone else at school. I wasn't allowed to do anything without the guys being around me.

I flopped down on my bed, well Jake's, having been deserted by Leah and Quil. Billy was out with my dad, shopping for our Sunday night dinner. I wasn't allowed to go because my father and Billy weren't strong enough to protect me from a vampire should anything go wrong. Jake was still out on patrol, having become everything but a high school drop out to make sure that he could be home with me at night. And while I appreciated the gesture, I was sure that Billy wasn't happy that his son was losing his education.

The doorbell rang out loudly through the house, echoing and reverberating off the wooden floors and walls.

"Coming!" I shouted, pushing up off the bed, wishing that I had gotten in the shower. I smelled like sweat and blood. But what else was new. I pulled the door open. God must hate me. "Bella?"

"Hi; is Jacob here?" she asked breathlessly.

"It's good to see you, too Bella," I said. "I'm doing well. I mean, I'm a little bit worried. I don't know if you heard, but there's a newborn vampire army after me," I said at a whisper. "But enough about me. How are you?"

"Ryanne, where is he?" she asked.

"He's busy, Bella. You should leave," I said, leaning against the doorframe. "Last time I heard, you were banned from tribal lands."

"He didn't mean that, Ryanne," she said simply. "He was just upset."

"Or livid." I shrugged. "He was more than a little upset, Bella. Your stupidity almost got me killed and you really don't seem to care about that. Jake was angrier than anything I'd ever seen, Bella. Except for maybe when we were in the Cullens' house. Now, you might want to leave before he gets home."

I wouldn't tell anyone about it; there was no reason to get my sister in trouble. But she would be torn to shreds if anyone caught her on this land.

"I'm not leaving until I can talk to him," she swore.

"Bella, you don't want to do this," I promised her.

"I just want to talk to him!" she screamed. "Are you really that spiteful? He is my best friend, Ryanne. I just want to hang out with him and have things be like they were."

"Let's get a few things straight, Bella. He was my best friend first. He loves me more than he will ever love you. And things will never be like they were before, Bella. You made the decision to be with your vampire boyfriend and that means that everything has to change," I said, backing away and staring to close the door.

Bella shoved her booted foot in between the frame and the wood.

"He's here, isn't he?" she snapped. "He's here and you won't let me see him?"

"You should leave, Bella." She turned to find Jake standing at the bottom step, snarling at her, exposing his canines.

"You're in violation of a tribal order." He took the three steps in one stride, coming to stand between me and my sister.

"Jacob, I know that I upset you with my actions last time we were together," my sister began.

"You don't know what I felt Bella. But right now, I can't believe that you are here after I told you that you were to stay away from my land, my people, and my imprint," he snapped. I stepped out onto the porch with him, wrapping my hand around his and placing my other hand on the crook of his elbow, ready to give him a few insistent tugs if the need arose.