Chapter XLIV

It was something Harry would've liked; the funeral that is. It was very tribal, very traditional. Billy said a few words and blessed Harry's soul, like it was supposed to be. My dad spoke, giving a very gruff speech about Harry and friendship and understanding that life was too short. Kim cried quietly into Jared's shoulder. I kept my hand tight around Jake's, anchoring myself to the world. Sue was crying, holding tightly to her son's hand. She stood up tall and proud and stoic. As the open mic hit, everyone saw Leah stand and run from the room.

Emily stood to go after her, but I pressed her down to her seat.

"I'll go," I said. The last person that Leah was going to want to talk to was Emily. She would never trust her again and I wasn't going to push where I wasn't wanted. Leah was sitting down in the sand, her short hair whipping across her face. She wasn't crying, wasn't moving; I couldn't even tell if she was breathing. I plopped down beside her, forcing my legs into a like position.

"Hey," I said, bumping her.

"If you're going to tell me to go back in there, you can save your breath. No one in this hell hole likes me anyways," she said.

"Please, like I'm going to tell you to do anything," I said with a scoff. "You wouldn't listen to me anyways." I wasn't going to address the whole 'no one likes me' thing. I liked her; hell I loved Leah like a sister. She was the only person that understood my humor. "I'm assuming you don't want to talk," I added. She growled at me. "I mean, growling at me isn't really doing anything for you."

"What do you want, Ryanne? You want me to say that I'm angry? What do you want to hear? Is there something that I can tell you that will make you go away?" she spat, shoving to her feet.

"So what you going to do, Leah? You going to phase and run? Because that sure as hell isn't helping anyone; least of all your mom," I said. "Now get your ass in my car."

"Why the fuck should I go with you?" she snapped.

"Because your choices are me or Emily," I snarled back. "So you can get your bitter ass in my car, and I can take you somewhere you'll love. Or you can try to get me to leave and Emily can come out here to try to help you. But phasing isn't an option anymore, Leah," I said seriously.

She bit her lip and growled again, but got in the car. I texted Jake, not wanting to interrupt the service.

With Leah. Promise I'm safe. I'll be back later tonight. He would't be happy with it, but at least I'd told him where I was going. She stared out the window as I drove, not willing to respond.

"Where are you taking me? Disneyland?"

"No; somewhere infinitely more fun," I promised. I drove silently after that, not looking at her until we got to the gym. "Go get dressed and meet me in the ring," I said, tossing a duffle bag at her.

"What the fuck are we doing here?"

"Leah, just shut up and get dressed. It's not going to kill you." I took my own bag, glad that I hadn't done my laundry yet. I changed too, meeting a barefoot, pissed off, short and tank top clad Leah. "Be a good pup and behave."

"I'm not a pup!" she shouted.

"Then stop acting like one!" I screamed back. "Quit acting like you're the only one who is in pain. Your bother had his life flipped upside too," I said, aware of where we were. "Your mother just lost her husband. But you're right, Leah; your life is the hardest."

She swung at me, but I could see it coming. I ducked and stepped away. Fighting her probably wasn't my best idea, but when she was fueled by anger, she was slower.