Chapter One

"Can you believe that it's almost my one year anniversary with Josh?!" I screech to one of my best friends, Alexis.

She sighs at the other end in annoyance, "You are so lovesick Haleigh. Yeah Josh can be a good guy, but I don't think he's keeper. The dude is a chick magnet."

"He may be a chick magnet, but he's my chick magnet," I giggle.

"So you're a lesbo now?" Alex laughs, and I laugh along with her. "I'm kidding. Anyways, I just don't want you getting hurt. You don't need that right now."

"I know Alex," I sigh. "Don't worry about me, girly. I'm a big girl."

"It's my job to worry about my friends," she chuckles slightly. "Well I have to go, but I'll text you."

"Okay, bye." I end the call and lay on my bed, exhausted from walking around and talking for the past half hour. Next week, Josh and I will have been dating for a year! Sure, it may not be that big of a deal to you, but Josh is the first boyfriend I've ever had, and he is the absolute sweetest guy I've ever met. Yeah, he used to sleep around like nobody's business but he cut that out when we started dating. Ever since, we've gotten along really well and haven't really had issues.

I understand why Alex would be worried, but I trusted Josh. Apparently, Emma and the twins were just as worried. They're all in my group at school and our friendship goes back to around fifth grade, even though I had known the twins prior to then. From fifth grade to now, which is junior year, we've stuck close together, managing to survive this much of high school together. The years have been insane and fun and I'm glad I have them, so life isn't completely miserable.

My life outside of my friends and school used to be pretty crappy. I'll start from the beginning. So, when I was a baby, my parents divorced and my dad basically went insane and got two other women pregnant. Yeah, total player. My mom also got involved with him again, and that's where my sister comes in. She's my full sister, unlike the other girls born who are my half sisters. They fought for custody and finally agreed to each of them having equal custody.

For me and my sister, that was a living hell half of the time. My dad abused all of us, and my mom got full custody of us then. That's when life got a little more livable, except my dad would basically stalk us, since my mom couldn't afford a restraining order. Ever since, I've been super paranoid. This is why I am thankful for my friends and, believe it or not, school. They distract me from him, and my friends bring me absolute joy.

"Haleigh! Come eat!" My mother's voice rings through the house and I sit up, smelling the familiar smell of pepperoni subs. I stand, running down the hall to our dining room, where my mom and sister are waiting. "I called you like four times. Did you lose your sense of smell or something?" My mom teases. She understands my love for food, especially the pepperoni subs she makes. I just shrug as I pick up the warm toasty bread and take a bite, moaning as the cheese melts in my mouth. In my at least ten years eating these, I will never get tired of them. My mom and sister laugh and continue to eat their's.

After I finish eating, I head upstairs and shower before jumping into bed. I check my phone and thankfully see no new notifications. As soon as my head hits the pillow, I fall into a needed deep sleep.

-------

So, I'm editing this story, now that it is complete! I know you are probably wondering why the heck the whole chapter changed, but it's because I'm improvising and making the chapters more enjoyable than before. Sorry if it's confusing, just bear with me and you'll live :) Love you guys!

-Kyleigh