Chapter Thirty-Six

Kyle's POV

Hannah and I have spent the whole weekend together just chilling. Right now, she wants to go to Starbucks so we hop onto my motorcycle and ride there.

When we get there we go in and order our drinks. After we get our tea, we sit down at a table. After sitting there and chatting a little, I feel the annoying urge to use the restroom.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom real quick, babe."

"Okay," she says, taking a sip of her drink before I walk to the bathroom and do my business.

When I come back, there's a guy our age sitting in my seat, talking to Hannah. Anger boils up inside me as she laughs at what he's saying. I can tell he's hitting on her, but I don't think Hannah knows that. Does she?

I walk over there after composing myself. I tap the guy on the shoulder and he looks up at me.

"Can I help you?" He asks, his voice having a hint of disgust.

"You can help me by getting out of my seat and leaving my girlfriend alone," I practically growl.

"I'll get out of your seat, but I think your girlfriend is enjoying my company," he sneers. He stands up and brushes my shoulder. If Hannah didn't stand up and touch my arm, I would've snapped him in half. I looked into her eyes, seeing them holding worry and sympathy. My muscles release their tension and my body relaxes. I hug her and keep her there. After I pull away, I notice that guy glaring at me. I grab Hannah's waist possessively and get my drink, walking out of the café.

We finish our drinks, then get on my motorcycle, riding home. On the way, that guy's face kept showing up in my mind. He looked so familiar. I just can't pin a name or event to him.

I park my motorcycle by the sidewalk and storm inside. I'm not happy. I hear the door close behind me and see Hannah. I must look mad because she gives me a sympathetic look.

"Are you okay Kyle?"

"Yeah. I just saw some guy flirting with my girlfriend and her not ignoring him. I'm totally fine," I say sarcastically.

Her face becomes shocked and angry. "What the hell? What do you expect me to do? Walk away?"

I raise my eyebrows at her. Is she serious? "Yes! You say you have a boyfriend and walk away! Is it that hard?"

"For someone heartless like you? No it's not."

That hit me hard. Heartless. That's what I'm called for being protective of my girlfriend. I can't believe she just said that.

"Heartless? Is that what I am to you, Hannah?" My voice cracks slightly. It hurts to hear that word. Heartless. That's how people treated me before I transferred schools. Heartless high schoolers, bullying anyone who was weak enough. I was a weakling. And now I'm the heartless one. I shut my eyes, trying to get those thoughts from mind. You'll never be like them. I can remember my mother's words. God, I miss her. Terrible memories flood into my head. A tear slips down my cheek.

I snap my eyes open to find Hannah's face, full of regret. "I didn't mean that, Kyle. I-"

"Whatever. How about you text that guy? I bet he won't be as heartless as me." I walk out her house and get on my bike, putting on my helmet. I rev it up and zoom off. So many thoughts are going through my head that I'm not paying attention. I hear a honk and feel a burning sensation go through the side of my body before I hear a crash and everything goes black.

------------------------

I wake up to excruciating pain. I squint, trying to get used to the lights. Then I hear someone crying. I look over towards the sound and see a girl holding her face in her hands with sobs escaping her mouth. I try to move, but end up groaning in pain. She looks up at me and gasps. Her eyes are puffy and red.