Chapter Forty-Five

Luke's POV

I watch as Haleigh screams in pain and squeezes my hand. The nurses begin to give her instructions and ask if she wants to be drugged. She nods her head vigorously.

"What does that do?" I ask.

"It's just going to help with the pain from her contractions, which right now are about a minute and a half apart," the nurse replies. I take a deep breath, taking all of this in. Here I am, with the girl I've had a crush on since sixth grade, who's about to have my son, and we're barely in college. Last time I forget to use protection.

I'm startled when Haleigh yelps in pain from a contraction. She does as the doctor tells her as she squeezes my hand hard. Very hard, might I add, making me want to yell in pain too.

"Haleigh, you've got this. Look at me." I get her attention. "Breathe, babe. In and out. It's going to be fine," I say to calm her down a little bit.

She yelps again, squeezing my hand and making me puff my cheeks to hold it in.

This continued for a few hours.

"Haleigh can I go out and call our parents?" I ask her. She was about to deny it, but another contraction came on. She nods.

I call both of our parents as quick as I can and go back in the room, holding Haleigh's hand immediately.

***

Haleigh's POV

I scream and breathe as the doctor and nurses say, but they keep saying only a few more pushes. That like five minutes ago!

"Last one! Push as hard as you can!" The doctor says. I close my eyes tightly and push as hard as I can. That's when I hear the crying of a newborn baby.

I look in front of me to see the doctor holding a baby. My baby.

"It's a girl," She says, laughing at our expressions I assume. A girl?

Luke leans over the doctor's shoulder and and smiles the sweetest smile I've ever seen. "Amanda," he says, almost in a whisper. "Our beautiful baby girl." He looks up at me, that same smile on his face. "I guess she'll stay in our room until I'm done repainting the baby room."

I smile as tears and laughs of joy come from me. I smile and cry more when they set her in my arms in a little pink blanket. She was beautiful with her little nose and tiny eyes and hands which were never still. I smile down at my little girl, knowing I would love her for the rest of my life.

I turn to Luke who is looking between both me and Amanda with a deep love in his eyes.

"Do you want hold her?" I ask.

"Me? You want me to hold her?" He asks.

"Of course! Last I checked, you're her father. And she's your beautiful daughter."

He smiles as he takes her gently from my arms. "Our beautiful daughter." He smiles down at her as she takes his index finger in her hand. There was a soft side to Luke that only Amanda could get to. I knew at that moment that he was wrapped around her little finger. His heart will belong to her for the rest of his life. I smile at the thought.

After a few minutes, our parents come in. My mom and his squeal in joy when they saw their granddaughter, and Luke's dad kept his signature smile. Everyone holds her for at most five minutes since I wanted her to myself. I might have let Luke hold her a little longer, but I held her most of the time.

"Do you want to call our friends?" I ask Luke as our parents leave.

"Yeah. I will now. I'll be right outside the door."