Chapter Fifty

Kyle's POV:

Hannah and I both just finished college in Austin, but we were offered a career in performing, in Dallas. We moved there and perform on Fridays and Saturdays for a pretty decent pay. Even though we miss everybody at home, life is good in Dallas.

We walk into the house after our performance this evening, setting down our instruments and bags in the closet. Hannah sighs in relief and plops onto the couch, laying there lazily. I chuckle and sit in a chair beside her.

"Do you want kids?" She asks me out of the silence. I shrug, not really thinking about it.

"We're not even married, let's not think about having kids yet," I reply. Hannah sits up and looks at me with a look that I couldn't quite decipher.

"You could change that," she whispers. I sigh, and we sit in silence for a moment. Hannah scoffs, shaking her head in disbelief. "Do you not want to get married?"

I shrug. "I just don't see why we need to."

She rolls her eyes. "It's a statement to everyone that I'm the only woman in your life. That you're serious and are going to be with me for the rest of your life."

I shudder at the thought. She makes it sound like I'm a possession or something and it just makes me dislike the thought of commitment even more.

"What was that for?" Hannah asks furiously, standing up.

"The thought of being with one woman for the rest of my life is just a lot to take in. I mean, you get one chance, and that's it."

"Are you saying that you don't want to be with me for the rest of your life?" Hannah asks, her voice cracking. I stand up, grabbing her shoulders.

"No of course not! Hannah I love you so much, I'm just not ready to make that commitment."

It's true. You only get one chance to make sure you're in love with a certain person and if you're not quite sure, what happens when you're married? People change after marriage. You see a different side of them and there's no telling whether it's good or bad.

"You know, you should be if I'm truly the only woman that you'll ever love." Hannah shakes her head, tears brimming her eyes, but her face hardens. "You're sleeping on the couch tonight."

She walks upstairs before I can reply. I sigh and fall onto the couch. I'm such an idiot! I can't believe she dragged that out of me. She's right though. I should be ready to commit to her and make her the only woman I love in my life, but I'm not ready. I sigh again, thinking of ways I could make this up to her.

Then an idea clicks. A classic romance scene. A bunch of rose petals and cut out hearts. I get up and grab my wallet, carefully opening the door so Hannah wouldn't hear.

I go to the closest store I can get roses at and then get red cardboard paper. I go back to the house and set an alarm for five in the morning, but put earbuds in so Hannah wouldn't hear. I fall asleep quickly.

*******

My alarm rings and I immediately get to work. I hang hearts up everywhere and flood the floors with rose petals, but leave one big spot clear. I spell out "I love you" in rose petals, then put a rose petal heart around it. I light candles and hold a rose in my hand. I check the time, seeing that it was 9:00 in the morning. Perfect timing. I knock on the door.

"Hannah?" I say, loud enough for her to hear. I hear a groan and the door open.

"What do you want K-" she starts, but then gasps. She looks behind me at the decorations, then the rose in my hand before staring into my eyes.

"Did you do all of this?" She asks me, her smile on her face. I nod.

"Hannah, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean what I said yesterday and-"

I'm interrupted by her lips landing on mine and her arms around my neck. I soon kiss her back, wrapping my arms around her waist and pulling her closer to me.

Hannah finally breaks it, looking up into my eyes. "I can't believe you did this for me," she whispers, tears welling up in her eyes.

"I would do anything for you. And you're right about marriage. I know that you're the only person I ever want to be with. So making that statement should be an easy thing to do."

Hannah sighs. "I don't want to push you into something that you don't want. I overreacted last night and I'm sorry, I-" I cut her off like she did to me by pressing my lips onto hers gently, and pulling away.

"I love you, so much," I murmur as I rest my forehead against her's. "You had every right to react how you did last night. You're right, and you're the only woman I'll ever love."

"I love you too," she replies. She rests her head on my shoulder as I rub her back. She's the only person that I ever want to be with. I know that, and when the time is right, I will ask her to marry me. I love her, with all the love I'm able to give her.