Chapter Forty-Three

Luke's POV

I try to get up from the ground, but I'm not fast enough. Josh had already punched Haleigh in the stomach.

She cried out in pain and fell to the ground. I stand up and run to Josh, punching him in the side of the face, knocking him out cold. He falls to the grass, looking as if he had just fallen asleep. I run over to Alex's car since that's where they had taken Haleigh and we drive to the hospital, full speed. She had passed out when he hit her and there was blood running down her leg. Right then, I knew that we lost one, if not both of the twins. Tears streamed down my face.

I pull into the hospital and run to the side of the truck, carrying Haleigh's limp body into the hospital. Some men come with a stretcher when they had seen us and tell us to stay there. After a few men hold me back, I finally give up. They lead me to the waiting room and there, I bawl. My anger, sadness, my love, all shown in the tears I cried in that hospital waiting room. Alex and Tyler try to comfort me.

"I'm so sorry, Luke," Tyler says. I just nod.

Haleigh and the twins could die. They know that, too. That's why they're trying to cheer me up, but they should know by now that none of that works.

I sit there, no longer crying, but grieving. Grieving the thought that I would have nothing to live for anymore. After my brother died, Haleigh was the only thing I had to live for. The only reason I never took my own life away. I love her. Ever since I realized how beautiful and kind she was, I've loved her. And to think that was at the end of middle school. I loved the kids too. So much already. Now, there was a chance of losing all the things I lived for. All the things that had my heart beating.

For awhile, I just sat there, drowning in my own thoughts, until a voice broke my thoughts.

"Is there anyone here for Haleigh Williams?" One of the nurses asks. I stand up and her eyes snap to me. Her face has a sympathetic smile. I look back at Alex and Tyler.

"We'll wait here. You need your time with her," Alex says quietly.

I nod and follow the nurse to the emergency room. She opens the door and I see Haleigh. She's connected to a bunch of tubes and has an oxygen tube in her nose. She looked so peaceful, but I knew how hurt she was. A silent tear falls once more as I walk to her side, taking her hand in mine. I kiss her hand as a quiet sob leaves my throat. I sit down in the chair next to her, watching as she sleeps, her chest rising and falling faintly.

Then the door opens, revealing the same man that saw Haleigh and told us about the twins.

"I need to speak to you, Luke," Dr. Vaughn says quietly, nodding his head out the door. I stand up and follow him out the door into the hallway. He sighs and looks down at the floor, not wanting to face my reaction.

"She lost one of them, and from the sonogram it looks like she lost the girl," he says quietly.

"Not Amanda. God, not Amanda." I shake my head and begin to cry again.

"I'm so sorry. Whatever happened that made her lose Amanda was really bad. The baby was completely-"

"Don't finish that sentence." I did not want to know how my baby was harmed.

"Okay. What happened? It didn't look like she fell," he says.

"Someone punched her in the stomach." My voice cracked with every word. My sadness begins to burn into anger. Josh made me lose my baby girl. Josh did this. Josh is ruining mine and Haleigh's life. "How will Haleigh be?"

"She should be waking up shortly. The shock made her body shut down. That's why she's asleep."

"Okay. Thank you Dr. Vaughn."