Chapter Forty-Four

Luke's POV

Haleigh and I have been in the hospital for two days. The doctors said we could leave today, so I was getting all of Haleigh's stuff together.

When we're ready to leave, we thank the nurses and Dr. Vaughn and get into our car and drive off. It's silent. We haven't been the least bit positive since Alex left the first day, and we have every reason.

"I hate him," Haleigh growls, breaking the silence. "He's ruined my life and he's ruining your's. Why can't the bastard just move on and get a life?!" She was yelling and in tears now. I pull into our drive way, not speaking because it just makes her worse, and myself for that.

She storms inside, slamming the car door behind her. I get out and follow her into the house. She paces the living room, but soon just sits on the couch and sobs. I sigh and sit beside her, tears rolling down my cheeks as well. I wrap my arms around her and run her back as she cries into my chest.

"I know," I whisper. "But we still have Alexander. We need to be strong. For him."

Haleigh sighs shakily and wipes her tears away. "Yeah," she says quietly. "We still have Alexander. That's what matters right now."

I nod and hug her tightly, never wanting to let go. I only had her and our child to live for, and I can't lose either of them.

I finally pull away and kiss her forehead softly, then her stomach.

"I love you both so much," I murmur, looking back up at Haleigh.

"We love you too," she whispers, wrapping her arms back around me and hugging me again. I don't want to be anywhere but here with my arms wrapped around the woman I love.

:/-:/-:/-:/-:/-:/-:

Haleigh's POV

It has been two weeks full of anxiety as we've been waiting for Alexander to come. I'm really just sitting around the house, being cooped up since Luke won't let me leave. He's been super protective and careful with me. Hell, he won't even allow me to walk up the stairs by myself. He had to assist me in every way he thought possible.

Luke had never been this way, he had never been so concentrated on me. He'd usually have something else on his mind or something else to do.

I'm currently lying in bed reading a book, staying on alert for the slightest hint that the baby is coming, but nothing seems to happen. Luke walks in the bedroom and lays beside me, his face level with my stomach. He places a quick kiss on the large bump while rubbing it. His eyes meet mine, holding so much love. He crawls upward and kisses me softly, leaving me on my back while he is on his side. I kiss back and we kiss slowly, not rushing anything. He pulls away and rests his forehead on mine as he looks into my eyes with his brown ones.

"I'm scared Haleigh." He sighs, closing his eyes and clenching his jaw. I touch my hand to his tense chin and jawline, trying to soothe him.

"You shouldn't be scared, Luke. You're not the one carrying the kid," I giggle, lightening up his mood a little. "Besides, if we stick together and work through this, it's going to be fine." I begin to tear up. Damn hormones.

I hug his head to my chest as he wraps his arm around my stomach, kissing the top of it softly, before returning to lay on my chest, where we fall asleep.

*

I wake up by an odd feeling in my stomach. I try to sit up but am held down my Luke.

"Luke, honey, wake up." I shake his shoulder. He sits up, alarmed and ready.

"What? What? What's wrong?"

I pull the blanket off my body and find a wet spot between my legs.

"Babe, did you have an accident?" Luke asks.

"No, you idiot! My water broke! Get up we have to get to the hospital!" I panick, trying to rush out of bed, but falling back, feeling weak at my legs.

Luke puts on a sweatshirt over his bare chest and rushes to pick me up and runs me down the stairs. He grabs the keys hastily before running me to the car and setting me in the front.

The drive is short, thankfully, but feels like forever. The contractions are extremely painful.

Luke finally pulls up and a medical team rushes to the emergency driveway where Luke is parked. Someone grabs the wheel chair and puts me on it, rushing me to a room and putting me in a gown and setting me on the bed. Later, Luke comes back dressed in scrubs as well, doctors and nurses beside him. He comes to my side and holds my hand and I feel another contraction coming on.