Chapter 1

<Cecily's Point of View>

I peek into the alleyway where I had hear a noise come from. I look down it and see a man, wearing all black, battling some sort of monster, like the kinds I've only read about. Blue sparks shoot out from the mans hands. They hit the monster, who responds by hitting the man, throwing him against the wall. He weakly stands back up, throwing one more blast of blue magic at him. The monster dissolves, leaving the man standing alone in the alleyway. I accidentally let out a squeak of fear. The man looks down and sees me, and we make eye contact. He slowly begins to walk down towards me, I want to back away but I can't.

"Can-can you see me?" The man asks me, approaching me slowly, I shyly nod, afraid of this man and what he can do.

"What do you want?" I ask him nervously.

"Nothing, I promise I'm not going to hurt you." He puts his hands up in defense. "If you'll just come with me-"

"N-no." I tell him, "I-I don't trust you."

"Look do you have any parents or anything?" The man asks me, I shake my head, "your all alone?" I nod, "come on, if you'll just take my hand-"

"No, please don't hurt me." I ask him, trying to back away.

"I didn't want to have to do this but I guess I'll have to." I don't have time to ask what he means, because he flicks his wrist shooting out blue magic, knocking me unconscious.

I wake up on a couch, I sit up and look around me. The man from earlier enters the room, with a drink. A fearful look spreads across my face.

"Oh, your awake." The man takes a sip of his drink. "Sorry I didn't mean to knock you unconscious, you just made it kind of hard to protect you."

"What? Protect me? From what?" I ask him panicked.

"Others who might try to hurt you." He vaguely explains, sitting down in a chair across from me.

"Others?" I ask him, "you mean people like you?" His eyes change color, turning into cats eyes. I jump back in my chair.

"Sorry!" His eyes change back to brown, "I didn't mean to- I'm here to protect you. I won't hurt you I promise. What's your name?"

"Cecily Jones." I tell him, "what's your name?"

"Magnus Bane." Magnus tells me, "I'm gonna protect you from now okay?" I nod. "First, I'll start with explaining the Shadowworld." Magnus begins to explain this crazy world to me.

"Wow." I say when he's finished, "that's crazy. How can I see you? Am I a downworlder?"

"No, I don't think so, you can't be a vampire, or a werewolf." Magnus tells me, "unless... have you ever been bitten buy someone and felt strange affects?" I shake my head, "I didn't think so, I doubt you are a faerie child. Your parents are both dead I assume?"

"Yeah, my dad died before I was born, my mom died when I was seven, I've been on my own ever since." I explain to him.

"How did your mom die?" Magnus inquires.

"One of those monster things that you were battling earlier came, and killed her." I explain to him, "she hid me in the closets, while she battled it, eventually it killed her. I had to watch the whole battle." My eyes get teary, but I try to hold back the tears, to seem brave.

"You must be a Shadowhunter then." Magnus announces, "you've been surviving on your own for how long?"

"7 years, I'm fourteen now." I reply, "does that mean I have to go to live with the Shadowhunters now?"

"No, you don't have to do anything you don't want to." Magnus tells me, "you can stay here with me, I'll be your family. You can go live in the Institute if you want to, I won't make you do anything you don't want to do. Can I just take a blood sample, to see if you really are Nephilim?"

"Yeah of course." I extend my arm out to him. He stands up, walks into the other room, then comes back in with a needle and cup. He holds my arm steadily in his hand, putting the needle into my arm. I watch the syringe fill with a red liquid, my blood, I wince.

"Sorry." Magnus looks apologetically at me, he pulls the needle out, then puts a cap on it. "I'll get someone to test it as soon as possible okay?"

"Okay." I tell him as he grabs some gauze and wraps my arm so it doesn't bleed. "Thanks for helping me out."

"Your welcome. I'm just surprised you haven't been staying at the institute all these years." Magnus comments, cleaning up the area. "I mean unless one of your parents wasn't Nephilim, so they left the Institute.... but I doubt that. Your father must've died in battle, and your mother must've left the Institute. It would be easier to piece this together if we could go to the Institute but-"

"No, please don't make me go there." He gets up and sits next to me on the couch.

"You didn't let me finish." Magnus calmly tells me, "what I was going to say was, it would be easier, but we aren't going to due to the request."

"Thank you." I thank him, he nods.

"I'm just glad I was in the right place at the right time." Magnus tells me, "the older you get, the more dangerous it will get for you. Trust me. Come on." He stands up, "if your going to be staying here, your going to need a room. But a hidden room, so if any Nephilim come over they won't find you and make you leave okay?"

"Yeah- thanks." I reply, standing up and walking into the other room with him. He begins to wave his hands around, sending blue magic out of them, suddenly something ripples, and then he's done.

"Okay so if you just walk straight through this wall-" he motions to the wall he just shot blue magic at, "you'll appear in your new room." He takes my hand and we both walk through the wall. I see my dream room, the minute I step in. There are two bookshelves filled with books, a bed, the walls are a beautiful blue color-my favorite color- a desk, and plenty of empty spaces on the wall for me to decorate. There are Christmas lights going around the edges of the room.

"Wow. This is amazing thank you." I smile, which makes him smile.

"Well I wasn't sure what you like so I just tried-" Magnus begins, but I cut him off.

"I love it, thank you Magnus." I tell him, turning around and facing him.

"You don't have to call me that, it seems so-so formal." Magnus tells me, "besides if I'm going to adopt you-"

"What?" I excitedly ask him, even though this is all happening really quickly.

"Well you didn't think I was going to take care of you and not end up adopting you did you?" I shake my head no, "well you might as well call me Dad if you want to. Unless you prefer Magnus..."

"No, thank you Dad." I tell him, he smiles, then I pull him into a hug. Then I hear the doorbell ring.

"I better go get that." Magnus tells me, "here why don't you go buy some stuff to decorate your room, I'll portal you to the mall." He hands me money, then creates a portal. I step through it, then I appear in front of the mall.