Chapter 17

We get to the kitchen and sit down around the large table. It's mostly empty due to the lack of other Shadowhunters in the Institute. After we eat, I spend the rest of the day in the library. Nighttime comes, and I head back into my room. I sit in there for a few minutes, then when I'm sure the coast is clear, I leave the room. I sneak down the first hallway and peer down the corner. When I'm sure the coast is clear I sneak down the corridor. I hear a cat meow and I instantly stop in my tracks.

"Yeah I didn't think she'd be stupid enough to try to sneak out either Church." I hear Jace say in the other room. I take a step back nervously. How'd he hear me? "You can come out now. I can hear you." I walk into the room Jace's voice is coming from and sit down in a chair by him.

"How'd you hear me?" I set my bag down on the ground next to me.

"This." He holds his wrist up and shows me a rune. "Makes great hearing."

"I'll have to try that sometime." I tell him, which he responds to with laughter.

"Why don't you want to stay here with us?"

"For the first time in years I've found a family." I explain, "and my parents kept me away from here for a reason."

"Well you should know if you ever need a home, you have one here." He tells me.

"Thanks." I tell him, "and if you guys ever need some outside help...you know where to find me."

"Actually we don't."

"You've been there for help before." I vaguely answer.

"You can leave." Jace plainly tells me, "I won't stop you."

"Is there something that will?"

He shakes his head. "No. I'm sorry we dragged you in here. No hard feelings?"

"No not at all." I confirm for him, "tell Clary I said bye."

He nods, smiles, then waves goodbye. I grab my bag and walk out of the room. I head out of the building and onto the street. I zip up my jacket for warmth and pull the hood over my head. I stop at the closest bus stop, and when the next bus comes, I hop on and head for home. The bus stops right in front so I quickly get off and run up to the house. I bolt up the stairs, unlock the door and step inside. Dad turns around from where he had been standing in front of the window.

"Ceci your home." He sounds relieved, he walks forward and pulls me into a hug. "I had been so worried."

"I missed you two Dad." I tell him, stepping out of the hug. "How did things go with the Clave?"

"Fine." He sighs, "'nothing to worry about. But you know what we do have to worry about?"

"What?" I ask him, raising an eyebrow curiously.

"The party we planned a couple weeks ago for tonight." He smiles.

"Oh!" I exclaim, the memory coming back. "Did you already send out-"

"The invites?" He finishes for me, "yes I did. Such little faith." He jokingly adds, smiling again. "But we need to clean and decorate this place."

"Do we really have to clean?" I ask him, he takes a second then snaps his fingers and the house is instantly cleaner.

"That's better." Dad smiles, "I mean I love a messy lair but that was just too messy. Ready for to decorate?"