Chapter 21

(The Next Morning)

I wake up and rub the sleep out of my eyes. After I got back from my walk, I slept through the rest of the night peacefully for the first time in a while. My eyes catch on black pen on my hand. I look at it and read a phone number. Cassia's. I quickly grab my phone and add the contact. I set my phone down.

"What to do today?" I ask myself aloud, I glance at my bookshelf which seems tempting. "Reading it is." My stomach grumbles. "Breakfast first."

I swing my legs over the bed and set my feet down on the cold hardwood floor. I leave the room and go into the kitchen. I open the fridge, when I don't find anything I open the freezer. I choose waffles. I throw them into the toaster. When they pop up I grab syrup from the cupboard and pour it over the two waffles. I pour myself a cup of apple juice, then sit down at the table and eat my breakfast. I look at the clock, it's only 8:34 I have plenty of time to get whatever I want done today.

"Morning Cecily." Dad walks out, smiling.

"Morning Dad." I respond eating another bite of my waffles.

"So today I was thinking-" He begins.

"Yes?" I interrupt.

"Well, I feel responsible for your training and making sure your able to defend yourself against everyday monsters-people." He sighs, "so I think you should be training with someone."

"Who?" I ask him, "I only trust one Shadowhunter at the Institute. And she just happens to have no training at all. I can defend myself Dad I'm fine."

"Ceci." He sternly responds, then he takes a deep breath in. "I'm sorry, look I'm only doing this because I care about you. You know that right?"

"Yeah but-"

"No buts Cecily." Dad tells me, "you don't even have to go to the Institute."

"Fine." I give in, "who is it?"

"Alec."

"You guys would make a cute couple." I say attempting to distract him from this whole idea. "Have you asked him out yet?"

"Actually he asked me out last night-" Dad stops, "this isn't about me Ceci."

"He asked you out?" I curiously continue, "he doesn't seem that outgoing of a person-"

"Ceci."

"Alright fine I'll do it." I give in.

"Good." Dad smiles, "you can start tomorrow."