Chapter 9

<Cecily's Point of View>

I sneak out into the hallway and into the living room. The door is closed, there is a note, with some money on the table in the center of the living room. I walk over nervously to the note.

Dear Ms. Jones, sorry for the late notice. I am going on a trip for a few days and am not sure when I will be able to return. Here is some money for your services, feel free to clean as normal. No visitors please, until I return.
-Magnus Bane

I talk the note, walk into the kitchen and grab a lemon. I quickly cut it up, and squeeze the juice over the paper. The words that were on their dissolve, and new words reappear. He told me how to do this in case of emergency, it's our simple code. He must've enchanted it when they weren't paying attention.

Dear Cecily, I'm sure you were listening to the whole conversation so there isn't really any point of me explaining where I have gone to. Be careful while I'm gone, I cannot let the Clave find out about you now. They will no I'm lying if you are made known. I wouldn't recommend any visitors in the apartment, but you can meet people places if you are careful. Enclosed is some money for food until I return. I expect you to be wise with it. Stay safe.
-Love, Dad.

I finish reading it, then crumple the note and throw it away. The white bandages wrapped around my wrists catch my eye. Nothing seems to have changed, but part of me wants to check them to see if they are any better. But my voice of reason warns me not to. I pull out my phone and text Clary.

Me: Hey
After I send that I head back into my room, locking the door first, and turn on my tv. Two minutes later my phone vibrates in my pocket.

Clary: Hey, the Clave didn't send people to your apartment did they?
Me: they did, but my dad is taking care of it
Clary: I didn't tell them don't worry
Me: I know, I kinda eavesdropped on the whole conversation
Clary: are you staying at your apartment alone?
Me: Yeah, they wanted his help in finding me
Clary: You shouldn't have to stay alone, meet me at Java Jones I might have somewhere for you to stay
Me: is it safe?
Clary: I'd trust this person with my life he's practically my dad
Me: okay I'll be right there.

I turn off my tv and grab my key to the house. I also pick up my bag and shove some clothes in it just in case. Right before I leave my room, I stop and grab my black sweatshirt. I put it on, leaving the hood on my head to hide my identity just in case. I walk out of the house and lock the door behind me. I run down the stairs and out the front door. Java Jones is two blocks from our apartment, so I briskly walk down there, order a coffee, then sit at a table and wait.