Chapter 5

<Cecily's Point of View>

We slowly begin to walk up a steep flight of stairs. We make it to the top floor without any problem. Once we get up there, we look around for Simon. Suddenly something-no someone pops out.

"Hola." The man says to us. He looks to be about our age, but knowing the Shadowworld, he's probably a vampire and much older then that.

"Get back." Clary demands, holding up her sword in defense. He holds up his hands and laughs.

"Where are my manners?" He laughs, "I am Raphael Santiago, and you are?"

"I'm Cecily Jo-" I begin, but Raphael interrupts me.

"Do not give me a fake last name, I know who you truly are." My heart skips a beat when he says this. Magnus could be in trouble if he decides to share this with Clary. "Don't worry, I will not say your true last name. But tell him I said hi, we are old friends." I solemnly nod.

"And I'm Clary." Clary introduces herself, "look we just came in here looking for my friend Simon-"

"He's a rat currently." I explain, Raphael raises an eyebrow.

"Oh is he now?" Raphael asks, "perhaps one of my vampires may have brought your friend here accidentally, mistaking him for one of our own at the party."

"So you'll help us find him then?" Clary asks, her voice full of hope. He sighs, crossing his arms and giving us an annoyed glare.

"You Nephilim, always expecting Downworlders to do the work for you." Raphael scoffs, which makes me mad.

"We don't not!" I exclaim, crossing my arms, "at least I don't anyways. Besides I kind of have to hurry. The minute my dad reads my note I left for him he will not be happy. Especially when he finds out where I've gone...."

"Fine I'll help you." Raphael gives in, "he's probably on the third floor. It's where we take vampires who have turned into rats or bats, until they change back."

"Thank you." Clary tells him, as he leads us down the stairs to the third floor. A group of teenage looking vampires crowd us.

"Where is the rat you brought home from the party?" Raphael demands, "he is not one of us. These people are looking for it."

"Him." Clary interjects, "he is my friend and I swear if one of you hurt him at all-"

"I think I know the rat your talking about." A girl steps forward and says. "It bit me, which I found out of character for one of us. Makes sense now...."

"Can you bring the rat here please?" Raphael annoyedly asks them, the girl turns around and heads the other direction. Less then a minute later she emerges with a rat in hand.

"Simon!" Clary exclaims, running forward and taking him from the girl's hand. "Thank you. Can you change him back?"

"See. What did I say about the Nephilim being demanding." Raphael signs and crosses his arms, "go home. Either he'll change back eventually or Magnus can help."

"Fine." Clary turns around for a moment, then turns back. "Thank you for your help."

"Your welcome." Raphael says, then Clary takes my hand and we walk away.

"Magnus can change him back right?" Clary asks as we leave the hotel.

"Umm I don't know...that was the first one of his parties I've been to." I lie shrugging.

Clary carefully puts Simon into her bag, "stay there." She whispers before her head shoots back up, "you don't have to lie to me. I know how you know him."

"You-you do?" I nervously ask.

"Yeah. Don't worry this can just stay between us." She says, "can I just crash at your place tonight?" Clary yawns, "I know you barely know me but...."

"No of course!" I exclaim, "come on your the first person like me I've met. And besides I would consider us friends at this point wouldn't you?"

"Yeah totally." Clary yawns again, "how far away?"

"Right here." I stop abruptly in front of the apartment and lead Clary upstairs. I try to open the door quietly, but the minute I open the door Dad is standing there.

"Glad you decided to come back Ceci." Dad sarcastically tells me.

"Sorry it's so late Dad, I was helping her. This is C-" I begin but he interrupts me.

"Clary I know." Dad tells me, "I'm assuming you told her."

"Yeah, but she won't tell anyone. Besides we were totally safe the whole time." I lie, shrugging and avoiding eye contact with him.

"I read your note Ceci." Dad crosses his arms, "the Hotel Dumort? Really? Your barely even trained." I am super thankful that I stashed the weapons in a bush just outside of the apartment.

"Raphael helped us." I explain, "he says hi by the way. Said he owed you a favor anyway, besides we didn't just go in there for no good reason."

"Oh really?" He asks.

"Yeah we went in there because her friend got turned into a rat during the party." I explain, "and some vamps took him home thinking he was one of them."

"Fine." He uncrosses his arms, "I guess that's good enough. Where is the rat now?"

"In my bag." Clary reaches into her bag and pulls Simon the rat out. "Can you change him back?" Dad shakes his head.

"Who knows what the faeries had put into that drink." He says, making Clary look distraught. "But don't worry. Why don't you guys get some sleep. The drink should wear off by the morning." Almost on queue I yawn.

"Okay. Goodnight Dad." I tell him with a yawn, "come on my rooms back here." I lead Clary back to the painting. Then we both stop.

"Did you just get lost in your own house?" Clary asks me.

"No, you have to walk through this painting to get to my room." I explain.

"Oh okay." Clary shrugs then steps in.

I'm shocked. She just walked straight through it without any doubt. I think to myself as I get ready to step through. I mean it could've actually been a portal to like Valentine or something. But then again I doubt the other Nephilim have informed her about that.... I walk through the painting seconds later and appear in front of Clary who is amazed by my room.

"Wow." Clary says, "I love your room!"

"Thanks."  I tell her shyly, "I haven't actually had anyone in here, except for my Dad of course."

"Well it looks great." She tells me, then she yawns again. "Well I'm gonna go to sleep."

"Here let me get you a sleeping bag." I walk over to my closet and pull a sleeping bag down and hand that and a pillow to her. "Goodnight." I say before I kick off my shoes, climb into bed, and fall asleep.