Chapter 14

I look around the opening of the Institute, it's old fashioned, but in a cool sort of way. There are loads of hallways and doors, all leading to who knows where. I hear two sets of heels walking down the hallway, they round the corner and I see Clary and one other girl walk down the hallway. Clary looks shocked, but then she immediately hides it before anyone else notices.

"Who's this?" The other girl asks, she looks surprisingly a lot like Alec, just female version.

"This is-" Alec begins, then turns to me. "What'd you say your name was?"

"I didn't." I harshly say, crossing my arms. "And my name is none of your business. Can we just get this done I have someone to meet."

"Well that is just going to have to wait." Jace tells me, I can practically feel the 'I don't care' attitude radiating off of him.

"Fine." I shrug, "you can explain to my friend why I'm late."

"Yeah no thanks." Jace rudely tells me.

"Why is this girl in here anyways?" The female Alec asks them.

"Because, Izzy she might be the Nephilim the Clave has been looking for." Alec explains to her, "you know the one who's been running around New York doing who knows what."

"Is that all you want to know?" I ask, "I'll tell you what I've been doing. I've been living on the streets just trying to survive. Is that against your stupid laws?" I am getting angrier as I say this. I wish I had just taken the bus, or maybe not have stopped in front of the Institute to stare.

"Look all we want you to do is stay here until the Inquisitor is back to ask you a couple of questions." Alec explains, "would you mind waiting until then?"

"Fine." I answer, "how long will that take?" The elevator dings almost as if it was on cue. A lady walks out of it, along with a man. These must be the people from our apartment.

"Apparently no time at all." Izzy comments smirking.

"Who is this Alec?" The voice matches the one from the apartment- Imogene Herondale.

"This, just happens to be the rogue Nephilim you've been chasing around New York." Jace answers for Alec.

"Oh is if?" She asks, sounding super surprised.

"Hi." I sarcastically say, waving to them subtly.

"So your her?" The man asks me, I shrug.

"Sure." I shrug again, "lets go with that. I uncross my arms finally, just done with the events of today.

"What is your name?" Imogene asks me, standing up taller then me, and not making eye contact with me.

"Why should I tell you?" I ask her, recording my arms.

"Because if you don't I swear we will lock you up in the Silent City for the rest of your worthless days." She threatens, still refusing to make eye contact with me.

"Harsh." I mutter under my breath, "my name is Cecily Jones."

"Thank you for telling us at least your first name." Imogene tells me, "now I want your real last name."

"I can never remember that." I shrug carelessly, "sorry. Can I go now?"

"No." She harshly answers, "will one of you guys take her to the library. Don't let her leave."

"I'll take her." Clary offers, stepping forward and gently grabbing my arm. "C'mon." She leads me down a couple hallways, then stops at a door. She opens it, then we both step inside, the minute she shuts the door I let out the breath I hadn't realized I was holding in.

"Why are they still looking for you?" Clary asks me.

"I don't know." I honestly answer her, "but I thought I was going to be safe. My dad was coming home today- maybe if I hadn't stopped in front of the Institute..... My dad is going to be ticked when he hears about this...."

"This isn't your fault Ceci." Clary tells me, "you'll be fine trust me. Just tell them what they want to know okay?" The minute she says this the people walk into the library.

"You can go now Clary." Imogene tells her, Clary quickly and silently leaves the library, gently closing the door behind her. She sits down in a chair across from where I'm pacing back and forth. "Have a seat." She motions to the open chair behind me.

"No thank you."

"That wasn't a suggestion." She tells me, I give in, and sit down. "Now for starters, where have you been hiding out all this time?"

"Various places." I vaguely answer, which isn't a lie.

"Look if you won't give us answers we will not hesitate to interrogate you using the Mortal Sword."

"Go ahead." I say this and her friend walks across the library. He comes back seconds later with a large sword.

"Stand up." She commands me, I laugh.

"What is this? Some strange version of Simon Says?" She doesn't say anything back, I stand up. The sword flies up and hovers above my head.

"What is your name?" She begins.

"What'll this do if I lie?" I ask her.

"What is your name?" She presses, "it'll kill you if you lie."

"Cecily Jones." I answer honestly, she waits a minute, when nothing happens she asks another question.

"Are you working with Valentine?"

"No, but he did try to kill me about a week ago." I answer, "still don't know why he did that. One minute I was walking on the streets of New York, the next he was threatening to kill me for information I didn't have. I don't even know how I escaped...." She is silent for a moment.

"Where have you been staying all these years?" She pushes.

"Wherever I can I guess." I answer, looking up at the sword above my head. "For the past 8 years the only thoughts in my mind were survive, survive, survive. Can I please leave?"

"One more question." She answers, "Why aren't you staying here in the Institute? And where did you get your stele from?"

"That's two questions." I inform her. "But first off because, I am a very mistrusting person. And also because my mom never brought me here or even mention the shadowworld, and it must've been for a pretty good reason. And I got my stele from-" I hesitate thinking about the consequences if I lie. "Why does this matter?"

"It does Miss Jones now answer me." Imogene pushes.

"Fine I got it from my mom's friend." Then the sword falls.

A/N: Wow 200 reads??  Thanks sooo much guys for reading this (Edit: I realize this has over 200 so thank you sm) you guys are all amazing and fabulous!!
(I wrote this ^ a couple days ago and today is Thanksgiving so here is authors note part two!)
A/N: HAPPY THANKSGIVING to my American readers!!! And even if you aren't American I'm still thankful for all of you guys!!! You are all amazing and thank you!
-Zoey