Chapter 29

"Rogue werewolf?" Luke repeats after we explain our current situation to him.

"Yeah." I comment. We are currently sitting at the largest table in the small, abandoned restaurant. "He kind of wants to kill you."

"I see." The others have all been silent for a while now, especially when Alec explained everything to Luke. "I may know who you are talking about. Maia!" He calls into the restaurant. Maia emerges from the back of the shop smiling faintly, her expression is still somehow serious and sophisticated.

"Yeah Luke?" She asks, standing in front of the table.

"Do you know anything about some rogue werewolf?" He asks her, tilting his head slightly to make eye contact from where he is sitting.

"Well I know some have come into the Hunters Moon." She begins, "they typically come in, get drunk, then go off ranting about how much they want to kill the pack leader and take over. But when their sober, no one dares to question your leadership."

"Did you work the night shift a night or two ago?" I ask, joining the conversation again, Maia nods, then crosses her arms-not angrily. "Did a guy come in there with a girl-vampire- and start a bar fight?"

"He might've." She shrugs, "we almost had to throw them out. Then the girl got a phone call and left. How'd you know?"

"Long story." I begin as I'm talked over by Jace.

"Did you catch his name Maia?" He asks her.

"I think the girl called him Jude." Maia shrugs again, "it could've been something else-"

"No that's it." I answer, interrupting her rudely. "Thanks guys."

Clary says goodbye to Luke, Simon says goodbye to Maia. We all slowly trickle out of the Jade Wolf. Everyone heads back to the Institute, Jace, Alec and my Dad go to the planning room to talk about what to do next. My Dad makes me go to the library, after he says 'your too young to go on missions Cecily.' I rolled my eyes, but did it anyway. Clary and Izzy walk to the weapons room together to train, with Simon in tow. They also wouldn't let me stay with them, something about needing to regain lost energy or something. I pace the shelves of the library angrily as these thoughts fly through my brain. I grab a random book off the old, wooden shelves. The Art of Painting. The cover reads.

"Really?" I sit down on the floor, and flip it open to a random page. "What kind of person puts a pun in the title of a book-" My eyes fall on the picture I opened to. "This isn't a painting book. It's a spellbook. What are the odds that the recipe I flipped to just happen to be how to give a vampire a daylight ring. Wait. Is that how to change them back?" A quick flip of the page confirms my thoughts. "This doesn't require the person to have magic even I could do this!" I happily jump up and run over to the table closest to the cupboard which is filled with magical potions and items. I begin to follow the instructions to make the spell. When I finish the spell, I pull my phone out and text Cassia, hoping she'll answer.

Me: Cassia the blood I gave you won't last forever, it will run out eventually meet me in the alley by the Pandemonium Club in half an hour.

I put my phone away. I grab two vials and pour the contents inside. I stuff them in my bag, which I still have with me. "I made this mess. And now I'm going to get everyone out of it." I mutter to myself as I walk over to the closest window. I may be on the second story, but I can hop to the first floor and jump down from there. "I have to make this right." I land on the first floor windowsill. I glance at the ground, which is no longer super far away. I close my eyes and brace myself nervously. I release my grip on the edge and jump backwards. When my eyes reopen I am on the ground again. My right ankle hurts a little bit, so I grab my stele and draw an iratze on it. Then I run out of the alley and towards Pandemonium Club.