Chapter 12

(The Next Morning)

I wake up and my phone is loudly ringing. I groggily pick it up, yawning. As I wait for the call to come through I examine the room. I had a bed, across from a window, and a dresser. Other then that it's pretty bare. The call comes through seconds later.

"Hello?" I ask, to sleepy to check caller id.

"Hey Ceci, its Clary." Clary announces over the phone, "How are you doing?"

"Tired." I say with a yawn, "why'd you have to call so early?"

"Well the thing is, I have breakfast and the door is locked." Clary explains.

"And it's freezing out here please come let us in." I hear someone add in the background.

"Simon chill out!" Clary exclaims.

"Trust me in this weather I already am." Simon jokes.

"Alright I'll be right down." I quickly hang up and change into a grey crop top, high waisted black jeans and my combat boots. I brush my hair into a ponytail, do my makeup then head downstairs. I'm walking to the backdoor when a note catches my eye.

Dear Cecily,
Sorry I had to run important pack business. Help yourself to anything in the fridge, Maia should be there at around nine. If you need anything just call me or Clary.
-Luke

I walk over to the backdoor and let a freezing Simon and Clary in. Clary sets a brown paper bag down on the table, while Simon stands rubbing his hands back and forth for warmth. My phone buzzes in my pocket.

"Sorry guys I have to take this I'll be right back though." I leave the room and answer my cell phone. "Hello?"

"Hey Ceci it's me." I hear my Dad say on the other side of the phone.

"Oh hi." I say back, unsure of what else to say.

"I'm coming back tomorrow, and I just thought I'd call to let you know." He informs me, "how have you been doing?"

"Oh good, Clary heard and I haven't been staying at home." I begin to explain. "I've been staying with someone else, his names Luke-"

"Garroway." Magnus finishes, "make sure to tell him I said thank you okay?" I nod even though he can't see it.

"Did everything turn out alright?" I curiously ask him.

"Oh yeah just fine." He responds, "I gotta go but I'll see you tomorrow okay?"

"Alright." I say, "bye Dad." I hang up the phone and rejoin Clary and Simon in the other room.

"What was that about?" Clary asks.

"My Dad is coming back tomorrow!" I excitedly tell her. "What'd you bring?"

"Donuts, and bagels. We heated them at the Institute." Clary pulls out a container of orange juice from the fridge, bagels and a box of donuts.

"Yum." Simon comments as he opens the box of donuts and begins to eat one. Clary gets three glasses from the cupboard and sets them at the table.

"Orange juice?" She asks me, which respond by nodding, she pours me a cup while I grab a donut. Clary does the same for Simon and herself, then sits down and grabs herself a donut. I hear the lock in the front of the lock click, and someone steps in.

"Who's that?" Simon asks, sounding slightly alarmed, "is Luke back early?"

"Oh!" I exclaim quickly standing up, "that must be Maia."

"Who?" Clary and Simon both ask in synch.

"She's a lycanthrope and she helps out in his store occasionally." I answer, "at least that's what he told me yesterday." I head out into the actual shop.

"Oh hi, you must be Cecily." A girl states, setting her stuff down behind the counter. "I'm Maia." She has curly brown hair, tan complexion, and a huge smile.

"Hi." I shake her hand she was holding out to me, smiling back on her. "Do you want to come back and hang with us before we open up the shop?"

"Us?" Maia asks, "who else is there?"

"Oh Clary and Simon." I tell her, leading her into the back of the shop. "Clary is a Shadowhunter and her mom is really really good friends with Luke and Simon- he's a mundane."

"And what are you?" Maia curiously asks, "Luke never told me.... if you don't mind me asking."

"Not at all I'm a shadowhunter." I tell her as we step into the kitchen part of the small apartment, "but this sort of needs to stay between us. I'm not exactly well know among the other Nephilim."

"Oh yeah I totally understand." Maia says with a smile.

"I'm assuming your Maia?" I hear Simon ask, I turn around and see him staring, dumbstruck.

"Yes. You must be Simon." Maia states.

"Yeah- yes umm I mean..." Simon stutters, Clary stifles a laugh. "Sit down you want to? I-I mean do you want to sit down?" Maia laughs, while Clary holds in a laugh. I'm almost positive my face is extremely red from holding in my laughter, Simon is hilarious when he's nervous.

"I'd love to." Maia takes a seat, then conversation at the table resumes. Later Clary and Simon leave, and Maia and I open up the shop, ready for a full day of working the shop.