Chapter 13

(The Next Morning)

I wake up at 6 o'clock, and quickly get ready. Though I may not be sure when Magnus gets back, I want to be there when he does. I grab al my stuff, slide on my shoes and race downstairs.

"Off so soon?" Luke asks me, looking at me doubtingly before he yawns.

"Yeah, I want to be there when my Dad gets back, but he didn't really tell me when that was." I explain, "thank you so much for letting me stay here until he got back."

"Your welcome." Luke smiles, "if you ever need anything ever again you know where to find me."

"Yeah, and your only a short bus ride away." I glance around, not sure what I'm looking for exactly. I glance at the clock on the wall, it's only 6:15 might as well walk back. "Bye." I wave slightly, then walk out the door and into the streets. I feel in my pocket for my phone, pull it, and my headphones, out of my pocket. I plug my headphones into my phone, then put them in my ears. I shuffle all my saved songs, then skip until one I like comes on. The opening song from Hamilton plays as I walk through the cold, foggy streets of New York. I turn up my music, just to tune out the busy street noises of New York. I'm not 100% sure what way to go to get back home, so I decide to head for the Institute. Mostly because it's the biggest building I can see, and I know home is close to there. I cross the river using the footbridge then get back on solid ground. I head down the street, it seems to be even colder on this side of the river. I can see my breath, it must be around 30 degrees outside (Fahrenheit). I stop in front of the Institute, even though I shouldn't and just stare at it.

It looks really beautiful even in this cold weather. The fog gives it a mysterious feel, which makes it seem both dangerous and intriguing. It reminds me of a stereotypical fictional castle of sorts. Suddenly my thoughts are interrupted by talking. I look and see the blonde shadowhunter, Jace I think his name was, and the dark brown haired one my Dad seems to like a lot. We make eye contact, and the blonde one's expression changes to anger. The brown haired man's expression is both confusion and anger.

"What are you doing?" The blonde haired one demands, the minute they walk up to me.

"Umm standing here." I state, "why is that against the law?"

"You can see me?" He sounds surprised now, he leans over to his friend. "She can see me." He whispers, he and his friend both cross their arms. Both of them were at the party, now I'm almost positive about who they are.

"Yes. Yes I can." I answer, crossing my arms. "I don't appear to be breaking any rules standing here either. Freedom of expression."

"Expression does not mean you can stand where ever." He doubtingly tells me.

"Actually it kind of does." I retort, "I am expressing myself by standing where I want to. Besides I'm not blocking your way or anything. So technically I haven't done anything wrong."

"She's right." The brown haired one tells him. I think Dad said his name was Alexander, but Alec for short.

"Ugh." He sounds defeated, "that doesn't change the fact that she can see us. I have a glamour rune on right now so technically we should be invisible to her."

"Unless she's a mundane who has the Sight." Alec comments, sounding like he finds this whole argument hilarious. "Or a warlock or a werewolf or-" he stops.

"Then lets narrow down the options." The blonde says, "if she were a mundane with the Sight she'd be asking a million questions. She doesn't have a warlock mark. She is definitely not a lycanthrope too skinny."

"Hey!" I exclaim, "that's rude!"

"You can't deny it can you?" He asks, smirking.

"Whatever." I glance at my watch casually. The time is 7:17. "I'm going now. Unless you have any problem with that."

"Actually I sort of do." He comments. "If you are a Nephilim then we do have an issue."

"Jace what are you talking about?" Alec asks him, finally giving a name to the face. "If she hasn't done anything wrong-"

"Correct." He interrupts, "she hasn't done anything wrong yet. She could be working for him."

"Look I really have to go." I say, my tone of voice changing to worry. I should've been more careful.....

"Unfortunately he is right." Alec tells me, "if you are a Nephilim you could be a danger to us."

"What are you talking about?!" I exclaim, subtly reaching into my back pocket where I had put my stele earlier. "I am exactly like you guys! How do I know your not the ones working for Valentine!" I pull out my stele and hold it in front of me for defense. Jace calmly walks forward, grabs my wrist and pulls the stele out of it.

"Come on." He drags me through the front gate and up to the door. "Did you really just try to defend yourself with a stele?"

"No." I calmly respond, "that was only my distraction." I step down on his foot, he lets go of my wrist and I quickly turn around. I bump into Alec who grabs my wrist.

"Can you not?" Alec asks me, annoyedly, "we just want to ask you a few questions. He has a tight grip on both of my wrists, so I give up.

"Fine." I sigh, then pull my wrists away. "I can walk in by myself." Alec shrugs while looking at Jace, then Jace opens the door and I walk into the Institute.