Chapter 45

I pack myself a small duffel bag, grabbing things I know I would miss. I grab all my framed pictures, along with clothes, shoes, my stele. When I am sure my Dad is asleep, quietly, I sneak out of the house, not bothering to leave a note. It would make me to sad. I leave. I walk down the brisk streets of New York. When I begin to shiver, I pull on my heavy jacket I brought with me. The streetlights light my way. When I get to the front of the Institute, I sigh, then step into the large castle-like house. When I enter, I see Aldertree, along with several others, standing in the foyer. They draw their weapons while they turn to face me.

"I surrender myself to the full authority of the Clave." I hold my hands up, Aldertree crosses his arms, looking like he feels successful.

"Do you?" He asks, also looking shocked.

I shrug. "Yeah I guess so."

"Don't sound too enthused." He scoffs. After he says this, we just awkwardly stand there. We make the most awkward eye contact I've ever made with a person. I begin to rock back and forth on my heels.

"So ummm...." I awkwardly break eye contact, glancing around the interior of the Institute, despite seeing it several times. "Now what? Are you going to arrest-" I make hand gestures, "me or what?"

"I didn't think you would just turn yourself in..." He awkwardly trails off, "sorry I need a minute to think."

"Oh yeah don't worry about it." I casually flick my wrist. "Take all the time you need." I motion at a chair, "I'm just going to sit here while oh decide. Does that work?"

"Oh yeah totally be my guest." He nods his head, then begins to pace.

Around 45 minutes later Aldertree finally figures out what he's going to do. "Okay can we try this from the top?"

"Sure." I stand up, leave the Institute, then walk back in as if nothing had happened. "I surrender myself to the full authority of the Clave." I restate as I renter the Institute.

"Grab her." Aldertree nods at his men, who run forward and grab my arms.

"Okay you've got me." I inform him, "now what are you going to do?"

"We are going to Alicante." He tells me.

Aldertree begins to walk towards the portal I hadn't noticed was there. His men drag me through the portal behind him, despite me not even struggling to escape. We arrive on a random street in Alicante, the whole way to the Hall of Accords, I am taking in my surroundings I have never been in the golden city of Idris.