Chapter 20

I shoot up in my bed alarmed. I look around in the dark for a minute, unsure of where I am. I relax the moment I realize where I am. My heartbeat slows to normal. The light next to me is turned on. I breath. Why does everyone I meet want to kill me? I swing my legs over the side of my bed.

"I need fresh air." I announce into my room to no one in particular. I quickly change into something warmer and slide my boots on. I grab my jacket, phone and house key and quietly sneak outside. "I probably shouldn't be wandering the streets of New York at night alone."

"No you shouldn't." A voice says from out of nowhere. I jump. "It's not safe for anyone to be on the streets alone...."

"What do you want?" I demand, "I don't have any money on me-"

"Your Nephilim." He states, stepping out of the shadows he had been hiding in. "I can smell it."

"Can all Downworlders smell that on me?" I curiously inquire.

"No." He flashes his teeth at me, and I see he's a vampire. "Only vamps."

"That makes sense." I respond shrugging casually, "I thought Nephilim blood had no effects on vamps."

"It all depends how pure the blood is." He shrugs, "how pure would you say your blood is?" This is one of the weirdest exchanges I've ever had.

"None of your business." I quickly pull my fist back and punch his face. He stumbles backwards, I ball my other hand into a fist and get into a defensive position, all of my years on the streets have done something good for me at least. Though I wish I had a weapon of sorts on me. He stands up.

"Your going to have to try better then that silly little Nephilim." I hear a clash of metal and he falls to the ground unconscious.

"You okay?" I hear Casanova say as she steps over his body.

"Yeah is he-?"

"Dead?" She finishes for me. "Nope it takes more then that to kill a vampire trust me. But he will wake up soon so you better get out of here."

"Thanks." I smile, when I breathe out I realize I can see my breath.

"Your welcome." She smiles back, I take a quick moment to observe her.

She has boy cut hair, which is slightly curly and dirty blonde. It is mostly curly on the top closest to her amazing green eyes. She is wearing a old looking, brown, hunting jacket. Her teeth are perfectly straight and her smile is amazing.

"You better get going." She continues, "he won't be unconscious forever."

"See you around?" I ask her, smiling subtly.

"Sure." She grabs my hand and turns it over. Cassia pulls out a pen and writes her number on it. "Text me." She turns then vanishes seconds after I blink. I hear the man groan, so I turn and run back to the apartment. I quickly and quietly unlock it. I step inside to the darkness when a light flicks on.

"Where have you been Cecily?" Dad asks, standing up from where he had been sitting on the couch in the dark.

"Umm I was gardening?" I lie, he looks doubtingly at me. "Okay I was outside. But I was fine I was just getting some air."

"Alone?" He asks, "in the dark? On the streets of Brooklyn?"

"I was fine." I inform him, "I just needed some air. I had a terrible dream."

"Okay." Dad sighs, "just don't do it again okay?"

"Alright." I truthfully answer, "I guess I'll just head back to bed now." I head back to my room and slide off my boots, then collapse on my bed for the second time tonight.