Chapter 39

Alec and Izzy show up a few hours later with a bunch of books and Chinese food from the Jade Wolf. They pour over the books for hours, while I sleep on and off. Eventually, I ask for a book and begin to help them in their search. We look all night, and by the next morning, we still have found no reason the runes shouldn't be staying on my skin. Eventually they all leave to get some fresh air. Magnus tells me he has to go somewhere, and soon I am alone in the apartment again. I roll uncomfortably on the couch, bored from being in the same position for hours. I wrap myself up in the blanket, then stand up. I slowly walk to my room. Then I grab a book off my bookshelf, then flop onto my bed. I curl up into my blanket, then open the book. The book I chose is The Hunger Games. I begin to read the book then close it.

"Why did I think it was a good choice to read while I'm sick?!" I loudly yell angrily. "Now I'm even more nauseous! Ahhhhh. Worst life choice ever." I roll under my covers, my comforter wrapping around me. "I. Hate. Being. Sick. Maybe I'll just listen to some music and try to sleep again I guess." I grab my phone and earbuds. I put them into my ears, plug my earbuds into my phone. I flop back onto my pillow, and close my eyes as Twenty One Pilots plays. I quickly fall back asleep for the twenty millionth time within the past 24 hours.

"Ceci wake up." I open my eyes, to see my Dad standing in front of my bed.

"Did you guys figure it out?" I ask him as I pull my earbuds.

"We aren't super sure-"

"That's never a good sign." I mutter as I get out of my comfortable bed.

"We think you might just have to wait until it passes for the runes to work again." He informs me.

"But that'll take forever." I complain, coughing as I say this.

"It's what the mundanes do." He comments, taking a seat on the edge of my bed-where I am now sitting.

"Yes, and I've dealt with sicknesses the mundane way." I remind him, "But now I know about runes." I take a deep breath. "You know what it's fine. I can do this."

"Yes you can." Dad tells me.

"Is that all?" I ask. He nods.

"Sorry to wake you up. I thought you'd want to know-"

"I did." I inform him, "thank you. But I think I'm going to go back to sleep now." He stands up and walks out of my room. I collapse back into my bed, my eyes fluttering until I am asleep.

I am standing in a field. It is completely empty except for me. I begin to cough, I gasp for air in between coughing. Eventually I catch my breath and look around. I begin to walk in the most promising direction in this large field. I see someone in the distance.

"Hey!" I yell, running towards them.

I feel myself going to distance, but I haven't moved at all. What does this even mean? I'm running but not going anywhere. This can't be possible. Can it?

"Hey person!" I yell, I also stop running to catch my breath as I start to cough again. "C-" I begin to cough, interrupting what I'm saying. "Can you tell me where I am?" I realize they are on a hill, they are turned away from me. "Hello?!" I finally begin to move when I gasp, then I shoot up in my bed, wide awake.