Chapter 47

I head to the portal, Aldertree by my side. I still don't like him at all. He did absolutely nothing to help me back in that room, nor has he ever. Yet he is still the one who is escorting me back home. We reach the portal, I walk through, immediately hating it the minute I appear in front of the Institute. I feel sick to my stomach, I take in several deep breathes. My stomach starts to feel better, then Aldertree appears. I stare at the swirling portal and feel worse then I had before. I run to the nearest bush and puke up my breakfast. 

"Are you done?" Aldertree asks, standing far away from me as if he could catch my distaste for portal travel.

"I'm fine thanks for asking." I straighten up, pick back up my bag, I walk up the stairs to the Institute. In the foyer this time are my Dad and Alec. 

"Oh Ceci." The way he says this is breathy, as if he has been holding his breath the entire time., He races towards me. We hug each other for a moment, then we pull away. "How are you here?" I shrug, a wave of exhaustion hits me like a 100 pound bus. 

"It's a really long story." I yawn. "Can we go home?" I stifle another yawn. "I'll explain when I get some sleep."

"Of course." My dad responds, "Good day Aldertree."

"I still don't like you." I inform him as we leave the New York Institute. "I'm so happy to be home." 

"I'm glad you are home." He tells me with a smile. "Come on lets get you home." We quickly walk to the apartment, I barely make it into my room before I fall fast asleep, everything right in the world. As my mind drifts off into subconsciousness, I wonder why it was so easy for me to leave the custody of the Clave. It shouldn't have been that easy. Should it have been?

I wake up to the smell of bacon and coffee. I get out of bed, groggily change, head out to the kitchen, then take a seat at the table. My dad places a plate in front of me-filled with bacon, eggs, and two pancakes-and a cup of black coffee. I get up, only to open the fridge to pull out creamer, I also grab some sugar. I add some to my coffee before putting them away. By the time I'm back at the table, my dad is also seated, with food and coffee. We silently sit, drinking our coffee and eating the breakfast he made. Eventually I decide to break the silence by asking the question that has been on my mind since I fell asleep last night.

"Why do you think they let me leave so easily?" I ask in between chewing bites of food.

"I don't know, why don't you explain what happened first?" Is his response. I sigh, then explain everything that happened. At the end I can tell both of us are confused. 

"Now do you have any clue why they did it?" I ask, irritated by the thought of them having some secret reasoning for why they did what they did.

"I feel like I'm failing you by not having a clue about what to do...or how to help you." He looks downcast at the thought of being helpless. 

"But you shouldn't Dad." I try to comfort him, "You've helped me so many times."

"But when you really need my help, I can't help you." He glumly informs me, "That makes me a pretty bad parent." 

"Come on Dad, you have an excuse." I inform him, "Two actually."

"Which are?"

"One, if you even tried to lift a finger against the Clave, they'd kill you. And two you've never had a kid before-especially not a shadowhunter- you're doing the best you can in such a situation. All that put together, you have been extremely helpful Dad."

"Thank you Ceci." He straightens up, "Maybe the Clave just realized it would do them no good to separate you, all you would do is rebel for the rest of your life."

"So I really am free?"

"I believe so."

"Now what?" I ask curiously, "After all that's happened between everyone. What do we do now? Just carry on with whatever normal life we had-if it ever existed." 

"Yeah I guess so." He smiles sincerely, "Whatever comes, whatever happens, we will conquer it together. Be it something simple, or the world is burning down around us okay?"

"You sound so serious Dad." I joke, "As if you know the apocalypse is coming."

"Not while I'm still breathing." He smiles, "Oh, by the way I have something to ask you as well."

"Okay what?"

"I've been thinking of proposing to Alec." He nervously tells me, "Are you okay with that?"

"Of course!" I happily exclaim. Those two are my real life OTP. "As long as your happy, I'm happy." He smiles back at me. 

"Your the best daughter a warlock could ask for, I hope you know that." 

"Your the best Dad an orphaned shadowhunter could ask for." I smile, "I'm glad I accidentally stumbled into that alley that day months ago."

"I'm glad you did two Cecily." He smiles. "I'm glad to have you be my daughter." 

"I'm glad to have you be my father." 

A/N: Hey so um... I kind of ended the story suddenly. But I had this idea, instead of dragging the story on and on and on for chapters that all tie together, I could just write one-shots with Cecily in them. I don't know it's kind of an idea I just got, it could be completely dumb, or it could be super cool. I don't know, comment which idea you think I should go with. Option One: End the story. Option Two: Add One-shots featuring Cecily and possibly MALEC's wedding. I am totally okay with either choice, just some feedback would be lovely so please be honest with me. I'm writing this right now in a Starbucks because my power went out at my house, and instead of studying for finals, I'm procrastinating. Oh well, Bye guys! Thanks for being such awesome readers!!