Chapter 35

Izzy, Simon and Clary stay at the Institute to guard Amara and Jude, while the rest of us head to Angels share to find Cassia. We park outside the club. Jace leads the way again, with Alec watching his back. I follow Alec, and my Dad follows me. We break into the club, people scream at the sight of us. Jace curses, followed by Alec muttering something about using a glamour rune. I look back at my Dad, who just seems to ignore all of their comments. Jace leads us into the backroom, and kicks open another door which leads down a flight of stairs. We barge down, I see people abruptly stand up, and run out of there with vampire speed. I see Cassia, with her face of shock as Alec and Jace both keep her from running by aiming their weapons at her. She hisses as they grab her. My Dad leads the way this time, with Jace, Alec and Cassia in the middle. I get to take up the rear. We get back into the car and head for the Institute. Jace and Alec lead a screaming Cassia into one of the Sanctuary's many rooms. I hadn't even realized there was more then one room before this. Magnus and I enter the room we are holding Amara in, Jace and Alec follow when they are done locking Cassia up and they are sure she can't escape.

"Jude gave her up didn't he?" Amara demands the minute we enter the room. "That traitorous dog."

"How do you even know we found Cassia." Alec asks the angered vampire.

"Vampire hearing." She rolls her eyes. "What do you want from me? I don't have the stupid contract on me. And even if I did, why would I give it to you? Its the only thing keeping me alive."

"Contract?" Jace asks, crossing his arms and pacing across the room. "You wouldn't mean this, would you." He pulls out the familiar piece of paper signed in my blood. I try to hold back my shock, the same as my Dad and Alec do. "Wouldn't it break your so called 'safety' if it were to tear?" He rips it slightly, drawing out his words for dramatic effect. "Oops my bad."

"What do you want Nephilim." She demands, baring her teeth, sharp pointed fangs.

"We are here," My Dad begins, "to get rid of your Daylighter powers. And then turn you into the Clave."

"You can't do that." She nervously says, "they'll chain me up on a roof, and watch me burn in the sunlight until I'm nothing more then a pile of ashes."

"That's kind of the point." I mutter under my breath. She shoots me an angry glare.

"How do you get rid of a Daylighters powers?" She asks, sounding both angry and nervous. How is that even possible?

"By draining you of your blood until you're almost completely drained of blood." Jace explains as he tears the contract in half, then into tiny pieces. I leave the room, not wanting to witness what they are about to do to her. I hear screams as I leave the Sanctuary. A shiver runs down my spine. I rejoin Clary, Izzy and Simon in the training room. Simon is sitting and watching the two girls spar. I sit down next to him. He jumps.

"Didn't hear you come in." Simon tells me. I point to a soundless rune on my arm.

"Soundless rune." I inform him. He nods as we both stare at the two girls sparring. The sounds of Amara's screams are still ringing in my ears.

"Hey are you okay?" Clary asks, "You've been just staring for like two minutes."

"Have I?" I ask, focusing again. "Sorry."

"You don't have to apologize." Clary kindly tells me, "Come on, lets see if they are ready for us." She holds her hand out to me, I take it then stand up.

"You guys go ahead." I release Clary's hand, "I don't want to be in there."

"You sure?" Clary stops as Simon and Izzy head for the Sanctuary, hand in hand. "I can wait-"

"No I really don't mind." I inform her, "I'm going to go sit in the library. I need to find a certain rune."

"Okay." Clary looks back at where Simon and Izzy have disappeared. "Do you want me to help?"

"Nah, I think I'll be good." I force a reassuring smile. She runs off after Simon and Izzy, only slightly hesitating. I reenter the training room and grab a stele from the bowl that is filled with them. I slid it into my pocket, I realize I'm still in the battle gear, but shrug that off. When I reach the library I pull out the Gray Book. "Maybe I just need an iratze, that should get rid of the headache, or whatever this is." I trace the figure just below my hand, on my wrist. It instantly fades, but my head doesn't feel any better. "What?!" I ask aloud angrily, "Runes only fade after there are used up, or they are permanent. But in the case of an iratze..." I trail off and begin to angrily flip through the Gray Book. "...I know I'll just try again." I retrace the symbol which quickly fades, this time even faster then the last one. I feel even worse then before so I sit down. I flip to the table of contents. "First off, why does this book even have a table of contents?" I ask as my eyes scan the old page. "I should check healing runes right?" I flip to that section of the book and look through it, feeling worse by the second. There aren't a bunch of healing runes, I quickly draw on the most practical runes. Those fade even more quickly. "Maybe just a stamina rune for now." I trace the rune onto my left arm, on the tricep. It fades, and somehow I feel even more exhausted then I had before. "What is going on?" I blink, which feels nice and relaxing, "Maybe I'll just take a nap until they are done in the Sanctuary." I curl up in the seat I am on and my eyelids stubbornly close.