three.

"Why don't you just go over and say hi, baby J?" Arizona asks, peeking over at Mr. Mendes while taking a sip from her soda.

"Yeah, and then I can ask to borrow his fork, then I'll stab myself in the throat! Great idea!" I mumbled sarcastically, pressing a fry into my mouth as the guys snickered from around the table.

"Seriously," I added, shaking my head quickly. "it's so awkward to see a teacher outside of school! I'm not gonna say hi. He already waved, that's enough."

"Don't you think it's a bit weird how he ignored all of us and only looked to Jules?" Chase asked, frowning as he took a bite from his food.

"He did that when we left the game, too!" Caroline spoke up, glancing at me with a smirk.

"Seriously, it's no big deal. He's just being friendly." I mumbled around my food, feeling my cheeks flush as I tried to stay calm.

"Aw, J's blushing!" Sammy teased, chuckling as he drank from his soda.

"You're all so annoying." I teased back, standing up from my chair as I gazed around the loud restaurant. "I'm going to pee, I'll be back."

As I walked to the bathroom, I glanced at Mr. Mendes' table, only to see his date alone on her phone, but he was no where to be seen.

Furrowing my brows, I stepped into the hallway that lead to the bathrooms, only to smack right into someone's chest and tumble backwards. I was seconds from falling straight on my ass, until two large, warm hands grabbed my waist, steadying me on my feet.

"Whoa, Miss Ange, careful there," Mr. Mendes' voice mumbled in my ear; his tone clearly playful.

"Maybe you should watch where you're going, Mr. Mendes," I shot back, the playful grin on my lips proving I was joking back.

God, his hands are so big on my waist.

"Celebrating the win with the stars of the team, are we?" He asked, gazing down at me with a perked brow.

"I've known them all since we were young. Except for Chase; I met him freshman year because of mutual friends." I nodded, my lungs having a hard time working due to how close Mr. Mendes and I were.

"Well, I guess I'll have to keep an eye on him in class then, Miss Ange."

What? Was he jealous?

"To make sure he doesn't distract you, of course." He added, the smile on his lips mischievous.

Of course he wasn't jealous, J.

"I'm pretty hard on myself, sir. I don't think I'd let a silly boy distract me." I spoke softly, my gaze glued to his lips.

"There's nothing wrong with me going harder on you," Oh, fuck. "and your grades, that is."

His lips are so pink, fuck me.

"Of course, Mr. Mendes,"

Calling him Mr. Mendes seemed to snap him out of the trance, causing him to release his hold on my hips, which helped calm my pounding heart.

"Right. Well, see you Monday, Julianna." He nodded, stepping back and offering a kind smile.

"See you then. Enjoy the rest of your date, sir." I smiled, stepping away from him and towards the ladies room instead.

He gave me an odd look before chuckling, nodding his head as he waved and walked away from the dark hall.

Christ. Why did he affect me so much?