forty-seven.

"Two tickets," Johnson grinned, setting down the prom tickets on my table.

"Oh! Here," I hummed, standing up from my couch in order to get my wallet and pay him back.

"Don't worry about it, J." Johnson shook is head, putting his hand up.

"C'mon, Johnson, my ticket was probably like fifty bucks." I frowned, handing him a bill.

"Keep it," He protested sincerely. "I don't mind. I'm a hardworking man, I can treat a lady."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive." He nodded, winking as he gave my money back to me.

"Johnson, you're going to make a woman very happy one day." I teased, kissing his cheek as Sammy walked inside from the patio.

"Chef Wilks at it again," He hummed, wiggling the tray of burgers around before setting them on the kitchen counter. "You guys want some?"

"Aw, Sammy, how sweet of you to come to our house, use our food and grill, then offer us dinner from it." Sasha teased, following after him with a glass of wine in her hand.

"Always a pleasure, Sash."

"Where's Caroline and Jack?" I asked, walking into the kitchen area before passing plates around.

"Swimming," Chase motioned outside. "Must be nice to not stress about finals."

"No shit," I groaned. "I'm freaking out for history and biology."

"Will you help me study?" Chase asked, wrinkling his nose slightly.

"Me too!" Arizona yelled, nodding her head. "Mendes is kicking my ass."

"Sure," I smiled, stressing slightly about having more to do.

But that's what friends did, right?

I could hear my phone ringing from upstairs, and I excused myself before going up to my bedroom.

Shawn's contact flashed on screen, and I swiped to answer, a smile on my lips.

"Hi, you."

"Hi, pretty girl." Shawn hummed, and I could sense his smile through the phone.

"I just want to let you know that I've got to go home to Canada for a few days,"

I frowned, tensing slightly as he spoke. "Is everything okay?"

"Christina's having some problems, I guess. She told me I needed to come, and that it was urgent."

"Oh no, is everything okay? Did she say what was wrong?"

"No, she said she couldn't say over the phone."

"Okay," I nodded, holding onto my phone with two hands. "When are you leaving?"

"Friday." Shawn answered, his tone slightly tense.

"Prom is Saturday." I spoke softly, my stomach twisting as silence took over the phone call.

I knew we weren't actually going to go to prom together, but we were supposed to get away for the night once prom was over.

"I promise, Julianna, I'm going to make it up to you, okay?" He sighed, and I could tell he not only felt bad, but was stressed over this.

"Hey, family first, okay?" I forced a smile, thankful we were on the phone and he couldn't see me. "I'll see you tomorrow in class, okay?"

"Come over tomorrow as well to help me pack?" He asked, his tone playful.