five.

"Your lab reports are due Friday, first thing at the beginning of class, or submitted online by nine am!" Mr. Mendes called out to the class as the clock hit three; signaling school was finished for the day.

"Are you gonna come by our practice?" Chase mumbled against my hair as he pressed a kiss to my head.

I watched students pack their things into their bags and scurry out of the class before I pulled back, smiling up at Chase. "Caroline and I will be there, promise. She insists we bring you and Jack gatorades."

He flashed me a grin as his thumb skimmed over my cheek, winking at me as he spoke. "That's my girl."

His nickname made me blush as I shrugged my bag onto my shoulders, about to tell him that we should get going before I was interrupted.

"Miss Ange? Would you mind staying back for a moment and meeting me in my office?" Mr. Mendes' voice called from his desk, his gaze intense on Chase and I.

I nodded at Mr. Mendes before glancing to Chase with a smile. "I'll meet you on the field?"

"Sounds good." He smiled back, kissing my head once more before grabbing his bag and walking out of the room as I headed into Mr. Mendes' office.

Now that it was just Mr. Mendes and I, I felt incredibly nervous. The man that I had been thinking of constantly, who was my teacher, and I were all alone.

"Come in, Julianna. Shut the door too, please." He said softly, nodding as I stepped inside.

"Yes, Mr. Mendes?" I asked quietly, standing in front of the door as my fingers messed with the pink gem that hung on the necklace around my neck.

"I just... hope Saturday night doesn't make things weird here, in the classroom." He spoke as he set his pen down, now no longer focused on grading papers. "Your father and I have been friends since I was a kid, despite the age difference of about ten years."

"I- yeah, Mr. Mendes, of course it won't make things weird here." I nodded, continuing to toy with the gem.

"Your dad wants me around more, now that I'm living here again. I hope that'll be okay with you, and not awkward?"

"Of course, sir. Besides, I helped your girlfriend purchase her, um, outfit, on Saturday. Can't get more awkward than that, right?"

Fuck! Why did I just say that?! Now he's gonna think I'm some freak who thinks about him and Christina doing... things!

"What?" He asked, his dark brows furrowing in confusion as he tilted his head. "My girlfriend?"

"Christina, right? The one from the wing place Friday night? Then came over with you Saturday?" My fingers dropped the gem, my arms crossing as I tilted my head back at him.

"Oh, god, Julianna! Christina is my sister!" Mr. Mendes laughed, shaking his head quickly as I felt my cheeks burn up. "She came to visit for the weekend with her boyfriend. We had dinner Friday night, and your parents wanted to see her, also, so she came with me to your place."

"Oh, my god." I groaned softly, my hands moving to cover my face. "And now I've made it awkward by assuming you two were a couple and speaking of her buying... stuff."

"That I definitely did not need to know, Miss Ange." Mr. Mendes teased, which caused me to giggle softly and shake my head.

"I am so, so sorry, sir. No awkwardness again, okay?" I pulled my hands away, offering him a small smile as I adjusted the strap of my bag.

"No awkwardness again, Julianna." He chuckled, nodding his head as he picked the red pen up once again. "I'll see you tomorrow, then?"

"See you, Mr. Mendes," I waved, turning on my heel and exhaling the breath I didn't know I had been holding once I stepped into the empty hall.